Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Christmas Traditions

I like Christmas traditions. One of my favorites started thirteen years ago when I was the calm, well-organized mother of three small children and also had seven or eight day care children in and out of my home on weekdays. Christmas Eve arrived and I was still working like mad to get everything done. I had something special planned for dinner but I just didn't have the time or the energy left to do it. So I picked up the phone, called Izzy's Limousine Pizza and ordered our family's favorite, Izzy's Special with thick crust. I lit all the candles in the house, and when the pizza arrived we turned off the lights (except the Christmas tree lights) and had pizza by candle light. The boys loved it, so we have done it every year since. Sparkling cider was added to the tradition a few years later and is also a must. It also wouldn't be the same without Will grumbling about too many candles and muttering dire predictions about burning the house down. (Well, once many years back some greens around the advent wreath at the kitchen table caught fire as we sat at the dining room. It was a bit exciting for awhile but other than a lot of smoke, no harm was done. And it gives Will some credibility.) I gave him more ammunition this year as I was dishing out pizza from the box and knocked a full glass of cider over, but hey, I didn't catch the box on fire. And Nick didn't get too wet.After dinner, the kids usually open a new game. I changed it this year, because last year's game hasn't been played since last Christmas Eve and we have a ton of games. I pulled questons about Jesus from our Bible Trivia game and we got into two teams and answered those questions. I learned that my kids know both more and less than I thought they did. I like to have Jesus questions at dinner during December but I never got around to getting them out this year. Then they normally open a new movie, but this year I didn't buy one of those either cause there just didn't seem to be any worth buying. I rented a couple and let them choose. We watched Superman Returns. I told them I had just read a review that there was some symbolism about Jesus so we were watching for those. My favorite line in the movie was when Lois Lane tells Superman, "We don't need a savior." He replies, "I can hear everyone, and the whole world is crying out for a savior."

Christmas Eve and morning were a little strange with only two boys to open their gifts, but Craig called from Germany around 9:00 am and we all got to talk to him. I asked him what he'd had for Christmas dinner and he said, turkey, stuffing, the usual. Nothing German? He laughed at me. "Mom, I'm having Christmas with a bunch of Americans." Oh, of course. Nathan's in-laws are there and they are doing a little traveling this week. They went to Munich and Dachau last week.

For the first time in awhile. we had our Troyer get-together on Christmas Day. I started something new last year at Christmas dinner of having place cards for everyone with scripture from Luke 2, Matthew 2 and prophecy from Isaiah 9. I managed to set them out in order and after dinner everyone got to read a few verses as the Christmas story was shared. That is our newest tradition.

After dinner the usual game playing took place. Little Cody is quite the expert at dominoes - he kept us all in line. I let Nick beat me at ping pong. Anisa got a lovely picture of me playing with my tongue out, but it's slightly blurry since I was moving so fast.

Galen once again proved what an outstanding brother he is, bravely being the sole person to try the hot picked brussels sprouts. He said it wasn't too bad. What a guy! I don't believe those little treats will become part of our Christmas tradition.

Hope you all had a wonderful Christmas too!

4 comments:

SAHM said...

It would appear that your Christmas was much more enjoyable than ours! :) I like you Christmas eve tradition. OUrs is to open stocking gifts. :)

Anonymous said...

The sprouts would have complimented oysters! And my supposed "foisting" never entered my thought process. I've always believed in encouraging a better and more fulilled life for others, which of course includes the finer foods..

Anonymous said...

I thoroughly enjoyed reading about your Christmas traditions. And I'm convinced that your ping pong picture was blurry because of the high rate of speed at which you were traveling while letting your son win. I'm so glad to call you my aunt!
Sincerely, the mother of the little boy who once said, "you're a furry fart head!"

MacNana said...

Thanks Jody, you are so right! I had to make it appear I was trying my hardest!