Friday, December 15, 2006

I Love Power!

Last night was the long anticipated matchup between Nick's basketball team and the team on which my fellow secretary Helen's grandson plays. Nick nearly gave her and our assistant principal a heart attack in our office at the end of the day when he stood in the middle of the office, undid his belt, and removed his jeans. After a few shocked gasps from the onlookers, it was quickly apparent that he was already wearing his basketball shorts under his jeans.

Nick's team was slightly ahead the whole way through the game. Helen's grandson, who is nearly as tall but more heavily muscled than Nick (who calls him a "beast"), politely reached down and gave Nick a hand up when he landed on the floor, but he nearly launched him to the other side of the gym! We were six points ahead with about nine minutes left in the fourth quarter, enjoying the game with our youth pastor, when the lights went out. The auxilary lights remained on, but far too dim to continue playing. They gave it 15 minutes, then said the game would need to be finished at another time since the power was still down. We barely got out the gym doors when the power came back, but it was too late. There's a schedule to stick to.

The wind was gusting and the rain pouring in heavy waves on the way home. We were still around the dinner table when our power went out. I already had candles lined up, and Nick got busy lighting them. He lit over 30 wicks, and still wasn't satisfied! Aren't there more candles we can light?! A little later, I heard Will complaining about all the different scents - vanilla, pumpkin, apple pie, cranberry, honeydew (to name just a few) combined for an interesting sensory experience!

Those three wick candles are definitely worth their weight under those conditions! Will did his Soduku puzzles by the light of one of them. I finished my Christmas cards and gifts for my coworkers at the table by candlelight. Nick went to bed early, hoping for no school the next day! Eric made it safely home, then his cat tried to burn the house down by jumping on the dining room table with many burning candles while our backs were turned. I love cats. Although it was pretty entertaining watching it chase the flashlight beams Eric provided for it's recreation.

We woke to a chilly dark house this morning. I called the YMCA and asked if they had power. Yes, so I packed my bag by candlelight and headed there to shower and get ready for work! Tangent Elementary school was without power all day, and I didn't know if we'd have any when we returned this afternoon. What a joy to drive up to the house and see it brightly lit, including the Christmas tree! Of course, we didn't turn off any lights after the power went off!

Power is good. Heat and light are fabulous. I am very thankful! But one cozy candlelit evening was enjoyable.

2 comments:

SAHM said...

Sounds like Party Lite candles are still being put to good use! I bought 2 flashlights, of different sizes in preparation for winter, and to keep with me in case I'm in my car. Do you think I know where they are now?? No. They never even made it out of their packages.

MacNana said...

All we can do is take baby steps, one at a time! Yes, my 3 wick Party Lite candles will last forever!