Saturday, April 07, 2007

A Tasty New Hobby

I experienced one of the best things that can happen to a working mother yesterday. While I was getting groceries after work, my husband called to tell me he was cooking dinner in his new Dutch Oven. By the time I picked up Nick from baseball practice and arrived home to stay, dinner was nearly ready. Pork chops, potatoes and mushrooms were cooking together in a creamy sauce over the hot charcoal.

There was time for me to put away the groceries and for the guys to sit outside and enjoy the spring warmth. Then there was a little more time for me to sit outside with them. Will says he read that it's nearly impossible to make a bad meal in a Dutch oven - by the time it's ready, people are so hungry that anything tastes good!
How do you like Nick's new fashion statement - baseball socks with shorts. I think it was just a one-night hurry-up look.


Dinner was absolutely delicious - our first outdoor meal this spring. Nick and I especially enjoyed when Will whittled a match into a toothpick and used it, with shavings all over his shirt. Will couldn't figure out what was so funny. Where he comes from, people turn matches into toothpicks all the time. Perfectly ordinary.

Last week when Nick and Will were camping up at the posse camp, they enjoyed some good food at a potluck that had been cooked in a dutch oven. It piqued his interest - and a new hobby was born! I'm loving it!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the pictures! Eating outside where it's warm sounds like such fun. We had a hot dog roast with the kids last weekend, but we had to dig through the snow to have room to sit around the fire. We can't WAIT for spring!
~Jewel

Mrs. Iced Tea Forever said...

We did have 70 degree weather, but alas...now it's snowing! Our outdoor eating is going to have to wait till warmer weather. What can I say, but it's Hoosierville!
Jewel