Friday, May 05, 2006

Surprise Brother

I love it when something good happens to completely change your day. Galen called me at work yesterday (causing me a moment of concern because he doesn't ever call me at work) and said he had just received a call from John telling him that John was flying to California and had a four hour layover in Portland that afternoon. Did I want to go to Portland to meet him for dinner? But of course. So Galen, Carol, Linda, Mom, Dad and I met at Home Depot at 3:30. I left my car parked by the road to get maximum exposure on my gigantic magnetic door sign "RE-ELECT TIM MUELLER LINN COUNTY SHERIFF". We piled into the parents Crown Vic, reliving sweet memories of our rental car during our visit to Indiana for our baby brother's wedding last summer. Our hearts yearned for our brother Mark (from Alabama). It just wasn't the same all squished together without him leaning in on the corners. We would have called him but apparently we really aren't a very close family. None of us had his number in our cell phones. (Sorry Mark.)

So we fought the big city traffic and finally got to the airport. Brother Dave had beat us there. We settled on the Panda Express. We were all sitting there eating and chatting it up when I realized John was not in his chair and hadn't been there for awhile. It seemed a little sad to have a dinner in his honor and have him miss much of it, but I guess sometimes nature calls at inopportune times. He was able to be there for all of dessert (frosties from Wendies) and coffee. (Sorry John.)

It was really good to see him, and I especially felt good about learning that he hadn't realized his layover was in Portland instead of Vancouver until just that morning. It sounds like the type of thing that would sneak up on me. I'm still feeling quite proud that I was the one that reserved all the campsites at South Beach for our last campout and nothing went wrong. I haven't been allowed to reserve or plan any group outings for many years. Just because of an enthusiastic impulsive invitation to a bunch of friends to camp at Kah Nee Ta (site unseen) about 20 years ago that ended up with camp sites that were baking hot little spots in the sage brush without much water close by. Then there was another incident about 10 years later at Fort Stevens where we discovered upon arrival that I had failed to notice we had been given tent sites instead of trailer. Thank God for the KOA across the road. The two families with us were very forgiving of course and have continued to hold me in high esteem. But I digress.

So we eventually said our goodbyes and began the trek back to the car. We made it safely in spite of a little thrill with Galen and I trying to help Linda on the up escalator that could have been really ugly, but we all gracefully regained our balance, though we were all close to taking a group fall for a moment. Then when Galen went to stick his parking ticket in the machine to pay it, he had a little trouble. The ticket was a little too wide and too flimsy - well, no wonder, it said "Panda Express" on it!

Then we took a little detour (either 10 or 20 minutes off the freeway depending whether you listen to Galen or Carol, I forgot to time it) to Kenny and Melissa's home just in time to see the gorgeous colors of the sunset from the wonderful view off their deck. Little Tamarick was very glad to see his grandparents, and he was gracious enough to hold my hand when I asked him to help me down the steps as we were leaving. Another very cute and smart little great-nephew!

I am very wordy. One day I will learn to make short blog entries.

5 comments:

SAHM said...

Sounds like a fun time....all except for the car ride. I can't believe none of you gets carsick. You know, you were only 3 hours from us once you were at Ken & Mels'. :0) And don't try to shorten your blog, it provides for good pre-bed-reading-reading. Keep up the good work!
P.S. The Rose City cafe in the airport is where I first tried, and became addicted to, Sushi. It's been written up in the New York Times! (Not that you would take any of their recommendations, nor would I on any other subject!):)

Anonymous said...

thanks for the detailed blog, I would never have heard the "rest of the story". sounds like you had lots of fun.

Anonymous said...

I guess I need to explain some details that got left out. Not the potty break details but at least let you all know that it wasn't that long of a potty break. Just unexpected, but you know when you gotta go, and you gotta go. I was there for the meal, I ate mine and was offered some of theirs too, but declined. Of cource I was there for the desert part too, but don't think I actually had any. I was just having too much fun being able to visit with part of my great family. Thanks to you all for coming.

I got home last night about 10:00. It was a tough trip but was able to spend some real good tome with one of my best friends. His wife has cancer and was in pretty bad shape. I was able to spend a bit of time with her on Friday, but she began to have some very difficult times after that. We took her to the hospital in Klamath on Sunday afternoon. I just found out tonight that they don't expect her to last but a few more days.

Pray for them, Raymond and his wife Darla. John

Anonymous said...

When you all brought up the Crown Vic ride and Tom's wedding, that was more like a nightmare. As the younger brother, I felt it was my duty to sit in the middle in the back and give the doors to Mark and Linda, however, being the largest of the three, and I don't mean fattest, it definitely was NOT the most comfortable. We all know how corners can effect the middle person. Let's just say that Linda and I haven't been in that close proximity in a LONG time. It also brought Mark and I closer on corners as well. It was good to see all those that made it up and down. Dave

Anonymous said...

..Just getting caught up on reading your blog..My emotions nearly overwhelmed me as I recalled the boat ride in the Crown Vic last July--gently turning the corners as we went around the curves-- and how hard it was to set up straight!!!--Very uncomfortable car--although I did like the XM radio..Mark