Tuesday, December 04, 2007

Drama

A little too much drama going on at work today for my tastes. It started off with a high school boy visiting this morning before school. While chit chatting, he asked if it was true that we were not going to have a talent show this year and if we had really cancelled Spirit Week. It was news to me. He asked if we had heard that some of our students had posted My Space bulletins last night encouraging students to participate in "Sit In" at lunch time to protest these alleged violations of their rights. That was the first we had heard of it. I asked our administrators these events had been cancelled, and they said no.

So our assistant principal made an announcement first thing when school started, letting kids know that there were false rumors going around. The talent show is usually held in the spring and no date has been set yet. Spirit Week is still scheduled for December 17-20. Students, please do not believe the rumors!

As I reflected on this, I could see why middle schoolers would be so devastated that they would feel the need to take action to stop the impending loss of the opportunity to have a "Wacky Hair Day", a "Hat Day", a "Pajama Day", a "70s Day", etc, which is how one shows your school spirit during "Spirit Week". I have participated in "Wacky Hair Day" myself. A high school friend once came to school and did my hair first thing in the morning. I have never had so many little clips in my hair. (Remember, Laci?!) Another time I teased it and sprayed it real good, giving myself a big hairstyle. The scary thing was that so many older women complimented me on how good my hair looked!

Still kids dribbled into the office all morning, asking such exciting questions as, "Is it true that the police are going to come and arrest everyone who participates in the "Sit In"? Are they going to take kids away in handcuffs? Are you sure Spirit Week hasn't been cancelled?" and so on.

We got through sixth, seventh and eighth grade lunches and all was calm. As eighth graders were heading to class after lunch, a report came to me over the radio. "Some eighth graders are sitting in East Hall chanting, "Give us back our 8th grade break!" (Eighth grade break was a 10 minute break at 9:30 in previous years because they don't go to lunch until 12:30. It disappeared this year when the schedule was completely revamped. Much to everyone's dismay, it just doesn't fit into the new schedule.)

Administrators quickly arrived at the scene of this brave show of defiance and sent everyone to class. No one had to be led off in handcuffs, in fact, the hallways were cleared very quickly.

That is a very small portion of the drama that went on today, but that's all I'm allowed to tell you about. People are so interesting.

Well, at least it got me thinking about Spirit Week. Only two weeks left to plan a wacky hairdo. It's nearly impossible to come up with anything as becoming as the big hairdo...

2 comments:

paula54 said...

With todays styles what could possibly be wacky?!

MacNana said...

So true!!