Sunday, April 27, 2008

The Last Voyage

Today Will our two oldest boys returned from the last camping trip in our old Holiday Rambler Free Spirit. (Nick had an overnight youth trip.) I just realized that I wasn't even invited to attend this weekend, but my feelings aren't hurt. I have always appreciated father-son camping trips. I used to incorporate more social activity into those times. But my priorities were home improvement projects this weekend. After attacking some weeds outside and also painting the baseboards and doors in the house, I was too sore to move or even think about social activity. I did get a book from the library and managed to read a total of 10 pages during two night before I fell asleep. Aging takes its toll.
They were blessed with the best weather we've had in ages. Two days of sunshine and 70 degree temperatures. They all came home quite happy and relaxed.
I'll never forget the thrill when we got this "new" used trailer in 1998. We were preparing for the church campout in July, and the hot water heater in our 30 year old 17 foot trailer (or as Will called it, our "portapotty on wheels") gave up the ghost. The refrigerator already didn't work and it was not worth putting any money into. We went to Junction City knowing we needed a trailer by the next weekend, and got a deal on this used Holiday Rambler. At 27 feet, it was huge and wonderful compared to what we had. It even had a real bed so we didn't have to remake it into a couch every morning! Our boys were half the size that they are now, so it fit us quite nicely then. It doesn't anymore.
We've been looking at RVs for the past year, and knew exactly what we wanted when we found the right deal at an RV show last month. The new 31-foot Cougar fifth wheel we ordered should be rolling off the assemply line very soon, and we will have it in time for our 25th anniversary trip Memorial Day weekend. With slide-outs making the interior very roomy, we will be able to fit all our boys and even their partners inside on a rainy camping day if necessary. We checked out the handle on the refrigerator (always a problem in the past!) and it looks like it would be very easy to operate and difficult for any boys to break. We can't wait!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your cougar sounds interesting. What model is it? We sell those up here as well, just sold 2 in the last few days. Let me know the model so I know what you got. John

SAHM said...

Sounds like fun!! I usually think a camper would be fun, but then how would I tow it and what would my excuse be for staying in a hotel during future campouts????:)