Tuesday, July 08, 2008

More Softball

Last night was the big game where our two church teams played each other. We lost by quite a bit but we had fun doing it! The other team has a lot of people who have actually played softball. Our team didn't have many players, and Craig recruited some of his friends. They haven't played ball for years but they are having a lot of fun doing it now!

Last week we had only 8 players. Fortunately, so did our opponents. Then one of our players got injured and Will had to give up the score book and play center field for an inning. Our former pastor got up to bat and told me he was going to make Will run. What he didn't know was that our right fielder, though he is a man about Will's age, can run like the wind. The ball was hit between right and center, and our right fielder easily ran over and caught it!

Last night we had plenty of people, but we just aren't as good as the other team. The ball only came to me (in right field) once. I picked it up and wisely handed it off to Nick, who had run to cover me. He made an amazing throw to third base and a runner was out!

As we were heading to the car after the game, a little girl whose parents play on the other team asked Nick, "So do you like falling on the ground?" She had apparently noticed that his style of play includes some falling and diving when he is in pursuit of a ball. I think he may have even done a sort of somersault at one point!

Way back in the good old daycare days (when I sometimes had 8 or 10 kids!) we played a lot of whiffle ball in the back yard and sometimes went to a park or school to play real baseball. Now I'm playing softball with some of those kids, and I like to think I taught them everything they know! I was much better at whiffle ball than softball!

Craig's friend Jon loaned him a hat to wear to the games. He likes it. Will looks like maybe he's jealous? I think Will would make an awesome softball coach. He's an excellent scorekeeper too.
This weekend is our family reunion! I can't wait to see all the folks from the midwest! Pray for sunshine! Maybe we can even play a little softball!

No comments: