Saturday, August 23, 2008

What a Week

A week ago I was very concerned about my friend, our office manger Helen Kauffman, who was fiercely battling cancer since her diagnosis in June 2007. She had been growing weaker but continued to come to work at least a couple of hours a day. She was at work Monday but fell that night and reluctantly stayed home the next day due to the pain she was experiencing. Wednesday she said she would try to come in a couple of hours late, but we convinced her it was ok to stay home. She felt terrible about missing work during such a busy time, getting ready for registration. Thursday she felt even worse. Sunday night I got word from her family that they did not expect her to be able to return to work at all. She rapidly declined, and when I visited her Tuesday afternoon I hardly recognized her. But I was able to talk to her for just a minute before she went back to sleep. The reality that even the indomitable Helen Kauffman would not be able to bounce back from this really hit me then. She went to be with Jesus about 5:30 Wednesday evening. My principal, assistant principal and I were still at work so we got on the phone to notify staff and former staff.

The next day Will got a call that his dad is very ill and not expected to last very long. He had the trailer all loaded with food and supplies for a father/son camping weekend, so he was all ready to hook up and head to Idaho (without the boys). He is still there, spending his days at his father's bedside.

So it has been a very busy and emotional week, with many long hours spent at work. Students continue to register and preparations must be made for staff to return next week and students to return the week after, so there is much to be done as we grieve her loss. Helen loved and was loved by all who knew her. She touched many lives and leaves a huge hole at our school. God has blessed us with awesome staff who are helping out. An office manager who retired from another middle school is willing to sub in our office until someone is hired. Her help will lighten my load so much, and I am so thankful.

I will write a tribute to this great lady after I have time to get my thoughts in order.

1 comment:

paula54 said...

So sorry for your loss. It's hard to let someone go, even tho they are finally free from their pain. How is Will holding up? That is a very trying time to go thru as you know all too well. My thoughts and prayers are with all of you.