Thursday, August 28, 2008

Funny Helen

One warm summer day a couple of years ago, Helen had been working hard. It was afternoon, she was tired and just felt like putting her feet up. I couldn't believe it when I turned around and saw her! After I laughed awhile, I got out the camera.
Tomorrow after the office closes, we will remove her belongings from her desk, take down the pictures of her family, the drawings and cards given to her by students and her grandchildren that are stuck all over the front of her desk, and put them in a box to give to her family. We will rearrange the office furniture, because no one wants to sit in the great lady's spot. We have had some discussions about how to rearrange, and I thought it would be fun to put a loveseat in the corner where a huge plant is overtaking the room. Wouldn't it be great to have a place to put your feet up and relax, or sit and visit in Helen's honor? I think our boss might be worried that we are serious about it....We'll keep her guessing as long as we can.
Helen enjoyed rearranging furniture, and I've heard the story of how she and the counselling secretary were rearranging the office one year while registration was going on. I can just imagine it. She was very spontaneous.
On the first day of school next Tuesday, our office will look different, but we want it to be a place where her memory and her passion for people are always honored. We are pondering ideas of how to make that happen.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It did make me cry but I'm so glad I read it. You described her so well! Thank you for loving mom especially when she made you crazy (she had that affect on me sometimes too!)!

She told me a few days before she died that she knew everything at school would be fine. She left it all in your very capable hands :)

April