Monday, August 04, 2008

Metolius 2008

Our Metolius River camping trip was just the right mix of new adventures, walks along the familiar river, and lots of time to sit outside in the gorgeous weather in front of the river reading a good book!

I have walked the trail past this "bridge" for many years thinking it looked much too dangerous to cross. Will crossed it and refused to come back, so I had to join him. I happened to be wearing flipflops because it's not far from our camp, so that made the trip a little more thrilling. I'm somewhat of a coward when it comes to crossing logs over rivers. Will tells me it's good to stretch myself. Thank you, Will.We joined a friend's church group in Sisters on Sunday afternoon for a hike from 3 Creeks Lake up to Little Three Creeks Lake. Lots of wildflowers and scenery along the way. I think this was McKinley Butte but I'm not sure.
Of course, there were many fabulous Dutch Oven dinners cooked by Will. He made pizza in it for the first time. It looked somewhat like a pyramid when he was ready to bake it, so I helped out by smoothing the toppings a bit toward the edges. It turned out great.
A Western Tanager was relaxing in a tree one day as I was walking along the river.
Once again, we enjoyed the view of the springs from the Canyon Creek trail. The water is such a gorgeous color there. I said I'd love to see the springs from that side of the river and Will assured me he could get me there. (The trail goes high above it.)
So the next day we had an adventurous journey along the steep hill, carefully picking our way over huge rocks, sliding through loose dirt, climbing over fallen logs, and avoiding a badger nest. The springs were in sight just down yonder when Will stopped, surveyed the treacherous hillside ahead, and told me he would not allow me to goad him into going any farther. He was done. He advised me I would need to find a younger man to lead me to the springs. I was not willing to risk my life to continue any further, so we carefully made our way up the hill to the trail above.
Another day we took a hike to Choosh Falls (formerly known as Squaw Falls). There were two other falls along the trail, but the last one was the most spectacular.
A great place to relax!
What a beautiful state we inhabit.
Once again, our campsite received regular visits from Will's friend, Deputy Dave. As he was leaving one time, the people next to us asked if everything was ok or if there was anything they should know. Deputy Dave informed them that Will was recently out on parole, and they should be sure to give him a call if he did anything suspicious! It made me wonder how many people might be curious why the "police" are at our campsite but are too polite to ask!
We made a very useful discovery about the capacity of the black water storage capacity of our lovely, wonderful, comfortable new fifth wheel. It holds nine days worth. On the morning we were to return home, I found a paper taped to the top of the toilet seat that said, "No Princess!" So I sadly put on my flipflops and told Will I would go out and join the commoners.

Now the most fun part of summer is over and I go back to work tomorrow. Oh joy. But hopefully we'll get out a couple more weekends close to home.

No comments: