Sunday, January 24, 2010

The Good Old Days

Last week, Will bravely got on his knees and entered the storage space that runs along the eaves on one side of our house , accessed by doors from Craig’s room and Nick’s room. He quickly learned that Nick apparently used that space to “clean” his room more than once, as evidenced by the computer parts, clothing papers and other trash. Many stories and garbage bags later, with help from the boys who filled it up, the space is cleaned up and organized. Thank you, Will, that job would have done me in.

We had records stored in there from my daycare years, so Will has been shredding lots of papers. I looked through my calendars from some of those years, where I occasionally jotted little comments about what was going on. Life was sure different then.

I always referred to Nick as Nicholas back then. I was under the illusion that if I called him that, so would everyone else. He changed that when he started kindergarten. Like he’s going to write Nicholas when he can insist that he wants to be called Nick!

Anyway, here was my entry on Sunday, March 1, 1992: “Nicholas was dedicated at church this morning. He was very squirmy, Craig (age 5) was tickling his feet, Eric (age 3) was making Will’s watch beep. I thought it would never end!” How’s that for a meaningful remembrance of your last baby’s dedication? I had forgotten all about that! I love baby dedications, in fact there were two at church just this morning. Those babies were perfectly well behaved.

March 11 “Eric gets sword back” I was very careful at the time about having non-violent toys, but I did get a set from Rainbow West that included a plastic sword of the Spirit, shield of faith, and helmet of salvation. The boys loved it! I'm sure every time they played with it, they were fully cognizant of the spiritual significance of each item. I wonder what Eric did with that sword of the Spirit that caused him to lose it for a time? I do not remember!

Sept 10: Craig - “Mom did you put the spices in the salsa? …That’s the most important ingredient.” He started at age 6, and he is still trying to improve my cooking!

We skip a few years to 1994. Why, I wonder, is “Casey Karstens 926-3876” written on the calendar week of Feb 14? I have no idea.

The calendar pages show a record of seven daycare children’s hours, beginning at 7 am, in and out all day until the last one left around 4 pm. The days were filled with the weekly trip with the kids to the Indoor Park at the Boys and Girls Club, wrestling, Little League, swimming lessons, basketball, nursery duty, Caravans, soccer, a recipe for gak, top scores for Tetris (my secret Gameboy addiction back then….occasionally I would stay up til the wee hours of the morning playing it!)…. Good times. I loved those days.

Oh no, another thing I had successfully blocked from my memory. Thursday, Dec 29, 1994 “Party at Mishlers – got stuck in Breitmeiers driveway picking up Craig:(!” It was dark…I didn’t back out straight and got hung up on a rock on the side of the driveway backing downhill – couldn’t move forward or backward. Eventually Will arrived and was able to move the rock. It was kind of embarrassing. I do remember that they were very nice about it.

And lastly,scribbled across the bottom of a page, unknown who said it, “Cleaning your house while the kids are growing up is like shoveling the walk before it stops snowing.”

Sadly, that one is still true around here!

No comments: