Friday, January 22, 2010

She called me what?!

This afternoon about 20 minutes before quitting time, I answered a call from a parent telling me her child forgot a book that she really needed. Would it be possible to get into a locked classroom to get her book? I said, yes, a custodian could unlock the room and let her in as long as she got there before 4:00. Oh yes, she was on her way. In fact, she was in a big hurry so could I send the custodian to unlock the room now and have him wait for her to get there?

I was a bit taken aback. Really, instead of apologizing for imposing and taking the custodian from his tasks, you want him to go wait by a room for you? So I am ashamed to admit, perhaps I was less than tactful when I said, "No, I'm sorry, I can't have him waste his time waiting for you." (Oops. Note to self: Don't ever refer to anyone wasting their time when helping a parent. Sometimes things just come out of my mouth.) "Stop by the office when you get here and it will take him just a minute to open it for you."

She replied in a sugary sweet voice, "Well thank you so much for all your help. I appreciate it so much." Was that sarcasm I detected in her tone? Then I heard, "Witch!" and she hung up. Well, perhaps the word actually started with a b, not a w. My mouth dropped open. I just got called the b-word! This is not routine in my happy little world!

So I had to decide what to do when she came in. Should I step away from my desk and be unavailable, be on the phone and ignore her, or treat her with sweet politeness? Rudeness was tempting, but as I discussed it with my co-worker and we recalled other rude parents, I knew this was an opportunity to practice turning the other cheek.

So when she came in, I greeted her cheerfully if less than sincerely, got right on the radio and called the custodian, assuring her he would be right there. A few minutes later, she was back saying, "Never mind, I just ran into another teacher in the hall and she is giving me the book." Again, no apologies to or appreciation for the custodian interrupting his work to go unlock a door for her. She was in the building for at least 10 minutes, exhibiting no hint of the big hurry she had expressed on the phone.

I guess I just don't know what it would be like to be one of those people that the world revolves around. It must be so frustrating for them when they encounter those who don't recognize their status. I vow to be more accommodating to them!

No comments: