Friday, February 19, 2010

Satisfaction Not Guaranteed

Today was the exciting, fun-filled monthly after-school dance at the middle school where I am employed. We love all the noise and drama that accompany this event. It costs a dollar to get in and a dollar for a piece of pizza and drink. As students were leaving, a small 6th grade boy came in the office and politely asked to speak to the principal. After being told he was gone, the boy said, "Well, one of your staff members behaved in an unacceptable manner, and I would like my $3.00 refunded!"

I had seen a teacher having an intense conversation with this young man earlier outside the office. Turns out he was doing a "seizure" dance and this teacher was explaining to him that it was inappropriate to mock people's physical disabilities.

So I'm thinking the next time I prepare the permission slips I need to add a disclaimer at the bottom. "Come at your own risk. Satisfaction is not guaranteed. Refunds will not be granted if you are not satisfied."

No comments: