Sunday, December 19, 2010

Family Treasures

Yesterday my siblings/spouses gathered at my parents' house in Brownsville to divide some of the treasures from our dearly departed father and mother. It was a good day of reminiscing and laughing. Little brother Doug scored big with a derby hat of Dad's. Nice hat but I'm not so sure about the attitude! 

 There was a box of dishes from our mother that had been boxed up for many years. I think she got these after her mother died, and it seems like I recall her saying something about at least one of them coming from a great aunt. If any of my Oswald relatives know, I'd love to hear it. I am now the proud owner of one of these beauties.
 Some interesting items included an original Bill of Sale for an auction my dad held in 1963, when he had a $3000 loan from the bank and the crops failed. He had to sell all his farm equipment to pay the loan. There were also some war ration booklets. I got one issued May 6, 1942 to Stanley John Troyer, my dad. It lists that he was 14 years old, 5 ft. 3 in, 117 lbs., blue eyes, light hair. It was signed for by his father, John R. Troyer. Pretty cool!
We also looked at the scrapbook of cards received after my mom's passing in 1973, when I was in 8th grade at Tennessee Elementary School. There was a card signed by everyone in my class and my teacher. It even had a Bible verse! There were also cards from Hope and Doug's classes there, signed by all their classmates. (No Bible verses though!)  Looking them over made me vow to be sure and write personal comments about the deceased person on cards I send. A neighbor had written, "You mother was a true Christian and she made a difference in my life." Others mentioned how inspirational her faith and courage were.

We also had fun looking at the yearbooks for the Christian school (Elliott Prairie) we attended when we first moved to Oregon. One year it actually listed the height and weight of all the 8th graders, male and female! A 5'2", 95 pound 8th grade girl's ambition was "to gain weight"! Fortunately, I wasn't in 8th grade that year!  A school calendar for October 13, 1972 said, "The Troyers left us." That's when we moved from Woodburn to Lebanon.

Lots of memories, but the best ones continue on with the unconditional love and acceptance we share with each other. We are truly blessed.

No comments: