Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Christmas Bike

Yesterday morning, a tiny middle school boy signed in a few minutes late to school. Again. He walks to school every day, and he said, "If only I had a bike,  I know I could get here on time." The attendance secretary (Cindy) talked to him a little, asking if there was any chance he might get one for Christmas. He was sure his mom couldn't afford it.

Knowing the family was very needy, Cindy asked if I thought it would be ok if she would put out an email to our staff letting them know we had a student who would love to have a bike. I thought it was a great idea. After she cleared it with our principal, she put out a short email. Less than 10 minutes later, a teacher was down at the office saying she and her husband would buy him a bike. Cindy called the mom to make sure it was ok and found out he already has a helmet. Other staff volunteered also, but only one bike was needed!

This morning, the wonderful teacher wheeled a brand new shiny bike up to the office, and included a good bike lock. When the boy came in this morning, it was so much fun to watch as Cindy took him to the bike and told him it was his! Our principal was also there to share in this event.  I wish the teacher could have presented it to him, but she wants to be anonymous. This boy was SO excited! I took a picture which I will email to our staff with tomorrow's announcements.

His mother dropped off his helmet, and when he came to get the bike and ride it home after school, it was a joy to watch!

I appreciate our staff so much. They are consistently generous in helping students and each other, both with physical needs and with nurturing and caring. I feel so fortunate to be part of this group, and they inspire me to give more of myself and my blessings all year around.

No comments: