Sunday, December 11, 2011

Birthday Dinner 2011

Oh joy. Today my oldest son cooked my birthday dinner and my two younger sons washed the dishes (well, most of them), by hand, because the dishwasher is still broken. Using no recipe, Craig made what he called "Lasagna Florentine a la Salmon". The garlic cooked in the clarified butter perfumed the air and whetted the appetite as he began this creation. It eventually turned into a rich Bechamel Sauce, to which he added sauteed spinach and cooked salmon before layering it with lasagna noodles and a mixture of cheeses. It's fun to sit nearby with a cup of tea and listen to him wax poetic as the dish develops. "Just look at the color!" "Something magical is happening here!" I used my new iPhone to take pictures while he was cooking, but none of them turned out. The finished product was a thing of beauty to behold, and a delight to savor. Paired with his garlic bread....well, I don't eat that kind of food every day. The unanimous verdict: fantastic!
The doorbell rang during lunch, which surprised all of us. What a fun surprise, a couple of very cute little girls at the door! They saw Nick's car when they were driving by and had to stop and say hi. I love delightful visitors like Madi and Rae and Tiesha!

Nick frosted the angel food birthday cake and put a full box of candles on it. Even though they were a bit short of my actual age, there were enough candles to be nearly impossible to light quickly. But many hands worked together for an exciting minute and got the job done!
I didn't have much luck with my annual picture with my boys on my birthday. After the first round resulted in squinty or closed-eyed laughing, ridiculous gape mouthed expressions, and eyes looking everywhere but at the camera as seen below, I ordered another round.
This is what happens when you say, "Keep your eyes open and smile while you look straight at the camera."
Maybe just a little creepy! Some things never seem to change - it's just not easy to get a nice normal looking group photo. And Craig is really slightly shorter than his brothers, he is just standing on the fireplace ledge.

Nick and Molly got me an awesome app for the iPhone called my TREK, which has an armband and tracks your heart rate, calories burned, distance gone and all that kind of cool stuff when you work out. I was practicing with it tonight and learned that I burned an average of 150 calories in 30 minutes while I'm sitting watching TV and playing with my laptop, iPad (another earlier present) and iPhone. No smart cracks about my "workout", ok?! I was just practicing so I'd know how to use it! I'm interested to see how many an hour of Zumba burns tomorrow!

No comments: