Saturday, December 03, 2011

State Champion Game

We joined family and friends and hundreds of other fans to watch Santiam Christian play Dayton for the 3A State Championship today. (My nephew Duane is a senior at SC.) It was definitely worth sitting out in the cold for a couple of hours to watch what was unquestionably the most exciting football game I've ever seen! We were sitting up high in the stands, and I admit I couldn't always see exactly where Duane was and what he was doing down there. People around me would start screaming his name and then I would hear the announcer say "Duane Troyer had the tackle" but I just didn't see them all. He played an awesome game!
The score was tied during the third quarter and Dayton was moving the ball down the field. For once I had an excellent view of Duane, #65, in the center of the defensive line as they lined up, and saw him as the football was passed - right to him for an unexpected interception! He caught it and ran with it a respectable distance! His friends, family and fans went crazy! I'm pretty sure his mother and sister cried with pride! I might have even wiped a tear! A few plays later, it resulted in a touchdown!

Dayton scored two touchdowns in the last five minutes to tie the game with 1:08 remaining. We figured overtime was in our near future. However, SC worked the ball down the field, and with two seconds on the clock, kicked a 47 yard field goal to win the game!

I have become a sportswriter!

The fans swarmed the field after the teams were presented with trophies. Duane is loved by all who know him, and his youth group friends showed up in some awesome tshirts! The back says, "#65 on your team, #1 in our hearts".
The front says "Go Duane" and something about Santiam Christian 3A State Championship.
There was ever so much hugging going on. Duane "the beast" lifted his sister off the ground with one arm!
And here he is with his proud dad, uncles and aunt. I love that gorgeous happy smile!
I absolutely love seeing my family members grow up to be wonderful adults and accomplish exciting things! Duane is an exceptionally terrific young man, talented in many areas. The next thing we are looking forward to is watching him play "Prince Charmless" in his school play a few months from now!

Then I was off with sister-in-law Carol to shop for shoes and a dress for Venisa's wedding coming up in just two short weeks - and scored there too!

No comments: