Sunday, April 01, 2012

March: Commitment

Commitment. It's the difference between success and failure when you want to change something in your life. I am currently enjoying the results of a commitment I made in November last year. I had joined Weight Watchers in October 2010 when it became a health insurance benefit. In a year's time, I lost 15 pounds and gained back 5, because although I wanted and wished to lose weight, I never really committed myself to following the plan.

In November 2011, I was inspired by watching the Biggest Loser show. I wondered how successful I could be if I stuck to the Weight Watchers plan (tracking and eating only the allotted points per day, with healthy foods) and exercised 6 days a week for an hour (or more)? I weighed on on Monday, November 7th and started a Word document on my laptop called "Biggest Loser". At the top of the page, I put this quote:
"Satisfaction does not come from indulgence; satisfaction comes from achievement." (Calvin Coolidge)

I open that document every morning to record my weight and any other pertinent info. I track my food and exercise on the Weight Watcher's eTools site each day as well.  I joined a gym, my church started hosting Zumba classes, and exercise became really fun! My niece's wedding date was almost 6 weeks away (Dec. 17) and my first goal was to lose 20 pounds by then. I didn't make it, but I lost 18, so I didn't feel too bad!  It's amazing what happens when you have a good plan and are committed to sticking to it! I have lost 37.8 pounds since November 7th, and am committed to following through to my goal, 12 pounds away. I feel absolutely great!

So it was time to commit to improving my spiritual health as well. I had been challenged to a more committed prayer life at Helen Sannan's funeral in January and prayer was especially important as we prepared for our retreat in February. While there, I was challenged to spend more time reading God's word. Mim Schlabach shared how she had made a commitment to daily Bible reading many years ago, saying that since she found time to eat food every day, surely she could find time for spiritual food daily as well. After talking to her before retreat, I had made a commitment to daily Bible reading, but not a specific amount of time. I have always had the desire and intention, but some days were just "too busy" to open my Bible. Our awesome retreat speaker, Jenna Silva, also challenged and inspired me to spend more time in the Bible. So that became a part of my commitment for March.

I started another Word document and committed to spend 10 minutes a day this month reading the Bible. Each day I typed the date, the time, and the chapters I read. I also typed (or cut and pasted) passages that I really liked or that really spoke to me. Like this one:

"Take delight in the LORD, and he will give you the desires of your heart. Commit your way to the LORD; trust in him and he will do this." (Psalm 37:4-5)

After I read through some of my favorite New Testament books, I started a 61 day reading plan on Bible Gateway.com that takes you through the key stories of the Bible in chronological order. (That website has lots of different reading plans.)

I love my time reading the Bible. I especially love reading all the scriptures that I were my favorites last month and are now all on one document for me to read!

"O God, you have taught me ever since I was young,    and I still talk about the miracles you have done.Even when I am old and gray, do not abandon me, O God.
   Let me live to tell the people of this age
      what your strength has accomplished,
         to tell about your power to all who will come." (Psalm 71:17-18)
 (That whole chapter is one of my new favorites!)

In April, my theme word will be "perseverance".  My weight loss has really slowed down this past month, and I need to persevere and not be discouraged. I also want to use a Bible study book this month along with my reading.

By the grace of God and through His strength,  I will persevere in my commitment to spiritual and physical health!

No comments: