Friday, April 20, 2012

Love My Country Walks


I love living in the country and taking walks. The weather and the seasons cause the view to constantly change. The past month, I have enjoyed viewing floods that turned the fields into lakes. I have watched flowers bloom, then peek out of a blanket of snow, then emerge and rise again to meet the sun. I have walked in gentle sprinkles, driving downpours, hail and sleet, in spite of trying to choose times between precipitation. Oh yeah, the sun came out once also! 

An awesome benefit of a flooded road is that there is very little traffic. You pretty much have the whole road to yourself and other walkers (and their dogs).
Where this sign says "Road Narrows" they occasionally need a one that says, "Road disappears". There have been many days during the past couple months that I have to turn around after about 1 1/2 miles if I want to walk instead of swim.

When I walked on March 22, the snow had completely changed the landscape.




It was especially fun to follow the footsteps of my husband and his dog, who had walked a couple of hours earlier.
I didn't even need boots I just walked in the tire tracks.

It was really sad to see the damage to trees. These had to be cut down.
The "lake" was especially scenic one day when the sun came out.

The hyacinths were just as beautiful as ever after the snow melted.
It is a joy to watch the progression of buds to blooms of magnolias, a variety of different daffodils, hyacinths, and tulips along the way. The sweet fragrances are splendid as well.

I do have a few spectators as I journey on.
 You never know - sometimes a whole herd of sheep will turn and run away as I approach. Other times they stand and stare. I would like to say they stare inquisitively, but it appears to me that it's more of a stupid stare.
 
I suspect some people may take a blue sky for granted. Not me. I marvel at the amazing beauty blue sky and sunshine!
I thank God for good health and a strong body that allow me to get out and enjoy the beautiful place I live, for the changing weather, and most of all, for the anticipation of a sunny weekend with temps in the 70s!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amen!!! and enjoy that sun!
--Jean

Bonnie said...

Leanne, I always love reading your blog when I have the opportunity. Your writing style is breezy and fun and I love your photos--it's like being with you on that walk!

MacNana said...

Thanks Bonnie, so glad you enjoy it!