Wednesday, April 25, 2012

I Love my Lucy Shirt!

My dear old friend Lou, who has had the pleasure of working with me for many years on our women's retreat team, thoughtfully blessed me at this year's retreat with a bag of gifts, ostensibly for my friend Barb (who has loyally been my roommate there for at least the past three years). This bag contained various items for Barb to give me just in case I forgot to bring them. For some reason, Lou has this unreasonable idea that I forget something every year. (Possibly she's getting forgetful, did I mention that she's a very old friend?) 

It's true that last year, Barb provided our other roommate Cindy with a new toothbrush after I accidentally used Cindy's toothbrush. (She really shouldn't have left it out on the counter because it looked just like mine.) And I didn't forget my underwear last year, my dear roommate Cindy stole it and hid it from me, so I temporarily thought I had lost my mind and forgotten it. If I forgot to bring anything else to retreat over the past few years, I have forgotten what that might have been. I am getting old too.

I certainly have never forgotten to bring clothing, but apparently Lou had doubts that I could be trusted to bring even this basic necessity. Among the plethora of useful items in this bag was a unique t-shirt. It still had the tag on it, with a red "Clearance" sticker and the price of $4.99. I bet Lou thought I would have to be pretty desperately shirtless to wear it. It was also a size Medium and too tight for me back in February. (Barb was kind enough to give it to me anyway.)

We had a Ladies Bunco night at our church this week, and I thought it would be a perfect place to wear this special shirt, if only it wouldn't be so small. Oh joy, I tried it on and it fit!

Lou begged to have her picture taken next to me in the shirt, so I graciously acquiesced.

The back of the shirt has another full size picture of Lucy. It's pretty special to wear a shirt that is so all around cool, especially when it was given to you with so much love! I may have to wear it the whole weekend at our next retreat. Or maybe I could give people turns at wearing it if they are nice and don't steal anything from me or play other practical jokes. Possibly people would even pay me to have a chance to wear it. It must be getting late because splendid ideas are popping into my head like crazy. I better quit now!

No comments: