Monday, December 17, 2012

My 12-12-12 Birthday Party!

It's here and gone, the last repeating date in my lifetime, 12-12-12, which just happened to be my 54th birthday. I wanted it to be a day to remember, to be surrounded by people I love, and to give gifts instead of receive them. I sent invitations to my family members inviting them for cake and ice cream. I told them I wanted them all to bring me a gift, but I was very picky. The only thing I wanted was $12 to donate to the Duane Troyer Uganda mission trip fund and to surprise him at the party. I also had just seen a Wish List in the paper for Sunshine Industries, where my sister Linda works, so I listed some of those items, in hopes we could collect at least 12 things to donate. I also threw out a few ideas of fun things we could do to stick with the "12" theme, like at 6:12, walk around our loop 12 times, have 12 kinds of cake, and stay til 12 midnight.

In spite of that, 23 people filled up my house that night. Even more delightful, most of them were wearing purple! I hadn't received that memo, but just happened to be wearing purple pants! I started things out with a 12 hunt: list things they could find 12 of in my house (without opening doors or cupboards). (Didn't want a bunch of people opening my fridge to see how many eggs I had!)
There's Duane and Rachel working on it together. My guests found all kinds of things, but my sister Jean was the only one who noticed I had 12 nativity scenes, and no one noticed that the word "Joy" could be seen 12 times (on my plates, napkins, wall decorations, kitchen towel, and a holiday planter). I also had 12 poinsettias and sent one home with each family. Merry Christmas to them.
My sister Linda was a very special guest. She beams with delight when she is around family.
These lovely ladies in purple, my nieces Venisa and Serena, enjoyed some quality reading time from my selection of children's Christmas books. Hmmm, were there maybe 12 of those?!
Anisa made me a special gift, my very own sturdy, practical, large bag with handles and everything! And 12 of her wonderful crocheted dishcloths plus some fuzzy purple socks inside!
Finally I gathered everyone around to watch me open my cards. I was so excited and amazed as each envelope contained $12! There was even money from Venisa's in-laws, and from people I didn't know (Venisa's college friends who've been praying with her about Duane's support)! When I finished, I had $132. I got my purse and opened it, babbling about counting how much money I had. I counted out $132 of my own and wondered what I could do with so much money.

Then I asked Duane to come up and help give me some ideas. I put all the money in a bag and told him I wanted to give it to him for his Uganda trip. He was satisfactorily surprised!Then I gave him a hug and stole his awesome purple stocking cap. A few guest came late, and we ended up with $300 for him! We also have three bags and more than a dozen things to take to Sunshine Industries.
I loved the hat, but my sons forbade me to wear it for the group picture. Something about it sticking up too far and blocking whatever.
Back row, left to right: Kevin, Serena, Galen, Nick, Craig, Eric
Middle row: Will, Anisa, Carol, Doug, me, Stephanie (w/Craig), Molly (w/Eric),
Jean, Rachel (w/Duane), Mom
Front Row: Duane, Chavon, Cody, Linda, Venisa
My dear husband got the camera all set up on the tripod and we organized ourselves quite nicely, but he had to fiddle with it a bit to get the timer set up, and the natives got a bit restless. There was a bit of pinching and tickling going on, and possibly some claustrophobia as well. The first attempt failed. Will is not one to hurry, and he thought he had time to walk sedately to his spot in spite of the frantic urging of his sons. He didn't quite make it. I felt a warm glow, not just from all the body heat around me (or a side effect of my advancing age), but from realizing how much my family loves me to put up with the prolonged invasion of their body space. They stayed in place for the next attempt, which found Will hustling over and grinning as if  he'd been there relaxing all along. My youngest nephew Jamison wandered off during this never ending photo shoot, so he's the only guest not pictured.
But he wandered back in time to be caught in one of the sibling/spouse photos.
Will sent me a gorgeous bouquet with 12 purple balloons, and the children enjoyed them. After tears resulting from a balloon slipping up to the vaulted ceiling, Uncle Will kindly employed a slip knot to keep it on a wrist.
Several wrists actually. Jamison wasn't so sure he liked it tied on.
So I just have to share my fun decor. I made 4 groups of three "12" posters. Each group had a theme This one was "Christmas Joy" and included 12 pictures, old through recent, of family at Christmas.
This one was "Youthful Adventure Joy", with 12 pictures from our hiking and skiing adventures in days of yore.
"Birthday Joy", with, of course, 12 pictures of family birthdays.
And 12 pictures of "Family Joy", old and new group pictures.

So you may be among those thinking, "She is really nuts, obsessing about this crazy 12-12-12 birthday and throwing herself a party."  I detected this attitude from my dear children, who seemed to think my party invitation was hilarity inducing. So maybe I shouldn't have enthused, "Sometimes I just have the best ideas!" Oh, well. It was fun planning it, and even more fun sharing it with my generous family, who kindly puts up with my eccentricities all year long, just as families should. Hmm, I wonder what my next great idea will be?

No comments: