Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Winner of Tea and Trouble Brewing!

It was really fun reading all the comments about your "flawed and scatterbrained" moments in response to the review of Tea and Trouble Brewing by Dorcas Smucker! I can totally relate to the stories of getting lost because of bad directions (or getting lost in general!), the cheese ball on top of the van (only I ended up chasing important papers all over the street), forgetting things in motel rooms, finding interesting items in the refrigerator (or dishwasher!), leaving out an essential ingredient when cooking, blaming your child (or husband!) for losing something that you safely tucked away, leaving water running and forgetting it, locking yourself out of the house (or car!), leaving the kitchen for "a minute" and burning something.

The Cozumel "snake" story was hysterical! I can just imagine how easily that could happen, and how foolish, yet relieved you would feel!

But forgetting about one of our darling children? Love for our children is all-consuming;  their health, happiness and survival are of utmost importance to us. I'd like to say that at least I never forgot about any of my children. I'd like to say that. But I have to be honest, in case this is read by my dear friend who knows that I left one at a park once, oh so many years ago. I blame my husband, of course. When you come in two vehicles, it's hard to keep track of who has what children. I'm pretty sure that's why the little guy was forgotten. As Vivian wrote, "Thank God for guardian angels who cover for our foolishness."

This merry-go-round of life gets to spinning so fast that sometimes even the most important and precious things can get overlooked or momentarily forgotten.  It doesn't seem quite fair that some of us are so much more scatterbrained than others. I'm amazed (and sometimes envious) at how "together" some people are. But fortunately, God has blessed me with a husband whose calm, practical nature keeps me steady, and who actually finds me entertaining instead of annoying.

But I digress. Who is going to be so excited to find out she won an autographed copy of this funny, thoughtful book that will bless and challenge her? And the winner is.....Lacy Kennedy! You're going to love it, Lacy! I will get it to you within the next week.

Thanks again to all of you for sharing your stories - even those of you who were too scattered to remember any! If you are unable to buy the book, be sure to check out two of Dorcas Smucker's previous books (Ordinary Days and Upstairs the Peasants are Revolting) from the Albany library.  They are upstairs, way in the back corner of the non-fiction section. I checked them out and enjoyed a fabulously lazy reading, tea-drinking day last Saturday! I returned the books on Monday for others to enjoy!


Here's how you can purchase this book:  Send a check for $15 to Dorcas Smucker, 31148 Substation Drive, Harrisburg, OR 97446.  You can also purchase her previous books, Ordinary Days, Upstairs the Peasants are Revolting, and Downstairs the Queen is Knitting for $15 each, or get all four for $40, postage included. 

If you want to pay by credit card, the books are also available on Amazon.

Reading is one of life's pleasures, and reading something that inspires you to be a better person and makes you laugh at the same time is like rich icing on a delicious cake! If you know any other authors that write like that, please leave a comment with their names and book titles!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

FYI...Your husband wasn't even at that baseball game! Nice try!
Signed, Your Dear Friend

MacNana said...

Well, the details have grown fuzzy with time and it helps me a lot to block out distressing memories, but I'm sure I thought he was with his father or something like that! Thanks, Dear Friend! I'm really hoping that your "togetherness" will rub off on me some day!