Sunday, February 03, 2013

Hope Day 23

"Come here and let me pinch you," said Hope to several visitors yesterday. How exciting to hear that when she woke up yesterday, she was able to press her index finger and thumb together on her right hand! "I can turn the pages of my Bible," she marveled. It is indeed marvelous to see the progress she has made just this past week alone. She's doing great with the walker and can take a few steps without it. "I was walking and leaping and praising God," she said, then admitted, "Well, I wasn't leaping, but I was walking and praising God!"

She confessed she had been lazy and rested in bed all day Saturday, but when brother Doug and I got there, she got herself out of bed, did a swivel turn with her walker, and sat down in her wheel chair unassisted. You go, Hope! Even more exciting, her anticipated release date has been moved up to February 15, a total of three weeks in Rehab instead of the four to six originally predicted! They need to remodel the downstairs bathroom because it currently has a claw foot tub and she will need a shower, so add to your prayers that the plans and work for that will go quickly and smoothly so it can be ready for her soon return home!

It was so good to see her son Micah there, looking fit and not complaining, but noticeably moving carefully after his own trip to the emergency room last week after a freakish construction accident. Doctors were surprised none of his ribs were broken. We are all thanking God for His protection once again.

His little brothers obviously adore him.

I saw the binder full of emails that Hope has received, and it looks like she's going to need a larger binder soon! If you want to email Hope, you can go to the hospital website by clicking here
and from the Facility menu, select "Sacred Heart Medical Center University District, Eugene OR".

The youth group from Hopewell Mennonite Church were expected to come and sing, and this reminded me of my own youthful foolishness when we attended that church after we first moved to Oregon in 1970. An impressionable young 6th grader, I was very flattered when the coolest girl in the small Christian school we attended immediately singled me out as her best friend. Unfortunately, she was somewhat of a wild child. One Sunday evening we were sitting together during an exceptionally boring church service, whispering and giggling. Somehow, a plan was developed that we would separately go downstairs and meet in the women's restroom, then sneak into the men's restroom just to see what it looked like. We were having a great time until we dashed out of the men's room, trying to stifle our giggles. OH NO! We came to a halt, because outside the door stood Brother Dwight, the high school teacher. He had noticed our lack of reverence and then our exit from the service, and came down to express his concern and offer us some encouraging words along with his rebuke. We were very embarrassed. At least I was. And I regret to say, I have seen far more men's room's since then than I care to remember in my urgent haste to enter restrooms at unfamiliar locations. Hmmm.

I told this tale to my nieces, who I am sure always behave properly in church, although I suspect they have had to fight back the giggles once or twice!

The youth group came, bearing boxes of two different hard-back song books. We sang along with them in glorious four-part a capella harmony. They ended with a thrilling rendition of an awesome song that was new to me and not in the book, "Heaven's Gonna Shine".  Micah told me to look it up by Vocal Union. I did and it's now in my iTunes.  You can click the link then click Play to hear it.

Heaven's Gonna Shine

I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well. (Psalm 139:13-15)

Another reminder about efforts to help with medical costs. There are purple bracelets that say "Pray for Hope" for sale for $3, available the Shedd Market and Shedd Cafe and many other businesses in Shedd and Brownsville, and at the Hansen Chiropractic Clinic (2625 Queen Ave SW, Albany), and from me! Also, if you wish to donate anything to the "Pray for Hope" Benefit Auction to be held at the Halsey Mennonite Church on March 2, contact Trudy Gregory 541-491-3529. Mark your calendars to come, good stuff is pouring in! Also, the "Hope Krabill Medical Donation" account is accepting donations at any Key Bank. Thank you, it is amazing to see the generosity of so many people.

No comments: