Thursday, May 24, 2007

Countdown to Graduation

I just looked at the calendar and realized that two weeks from tonight, my middle child graduates from high school. I finished the graduation announcements tonight and will mail them tomorrow. I failed the first of the "Graduation Etiquette Tips" on the box of announcements - they are supposed to arrive at least two weeks before graduation. I was thinking I still had plenty of time. So I'm just a little late - what's new? I'm pretty proud of being that close to the deadline. And it's a good thing - I just heard yesterday that stamps went up to 41 cents. When did that happen and why didn't I hear about it? I was planning to use some leftover 39 cent ones that I have laying around. Would it be bad graduation etiquette to stick 2 cent stamps alongside them on these formal graduation announcements? I don't think I'll risk it, bad enough that I'm late.

Eric has had some major changes lately. About a month ago he got a job at the Courtesy Corner Shell station where his girlfriend and three other best friends work. We were so proud to say he worked two jobs for a couple of weeks, but then he quit McDonalds because he was able to get extra shifts at Shell. Three years on the job at McDonalds, and on his second to the last shift, he finally got caught by a strict manager and ordered to shave the beard. He shaved about a one-inch line between the sideburns and the goatee and met the requirements! Nearly every time I come by Shell, he's sitting inside chatting with his friends. He always says, "You missed the busy time again! I just sat down!" Ha. This week I finally caught him working when I drove up.
Then he had to work really hard, because these buses drove up! I dropped off his Subway sandwich and left. You can see his white shirt at the back of the bus.

Across the street is Papa Murphy's, where I have picked up a pizza nearly every Friday night for the past couple of years. Another good friend of Eric's works there, and he talked Eric into getting a job there. He started training Monday. So now we can again say that our son works two jobs! We are so proud!

His last band concert was Tuesday night. Their band went to State this year and took second place. It was nearly a disaster for Eric, because he realized that morning that he no longer had black pants, having turned them in to McDonalds because they were part of his uniform. He thought maybe his dad would have some he could borrow, but Will never replaced the black Dockers that Eric split the crotch in a year or so ago at a band concert. Fortunately, I had some black pants I had bought for him in December that weren't a perfect fit that I had intended to return, but hadn't made it back to Salem. They fit well enough to make do. I love it when procrastination pays off. And the bonus was, in the bag with the pants was a bag with a purchase from Bath & Body works that I had completely forgotten about! Good grief.
Oboe players always get to sit right in the center of the front row. For some reason, I am not at all sad that I no longer have any obligation to sit through 2 1/2 hour band concerts at West Albany! Even though they are always excellent.

No comments: