Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Nick is Half-way Through High School!

Nick really impressed me on Saturday. I was out working in the yard when he came to the back door and asked where he could find a needle and thread because he needed to sew a button on his work pants. As I walked to the house, he put his hand in front of his face. I asked why. He said “I just can’t look at you right now.” I had no idea why I would be so hard to look at. “You just wouldn’t believe how goofy you look,” he said, face averted. By then I was at the patio door and looked at my reflection in the glass. What a sight! I had pulled some of my hair back in a clip so it would stay out of my face. When I put headphones on, the clip was in the way, so I pushed it forward. I had quite an amazingly high hair poof going on. Combined with my becomingly thick glasses and my baggy sweats, I guess I was pretty difficult to look at. Good thing my husband was still far, far away.

But I digress. How impressive is it that Nick did not ask where he could find a safety pin (as his older brother recently did when in that situation, but I gave him a needle and thread instead), neither did he ask me to sew the button on. I complimented him on his maturity and felt very encouraged that at the youthful age of 16, on his own initiative he actually sewed on his own button. There is hope.

That evening when he was on his break at Taco Bell he texted me that he was working the cash register for the first time. I texted back that I needed dinner so he should watch for an unspeakably goofy-looking female. (Although I had removed the hair clip by then.) I got there behind four teenagers who attend school with him. There was much giggling from the girls, and one of his coworkers who was taking a break told Nick to quit hitting on them. (He wasn’t, he was very professional. Of course.) I ordered a Mango-Strawberry Fruitista Freeze, which Nick made for me. He even added more strawberries when I requested them. It was absolutely delicious.

Besides being very responsible and hardworking, he has a great sense of humor. I forgot my cell phone one day last week and asked him to drop it off at work on his way to school. He was messing with it when he walked in and had a big smile on his face. I suspiciously checked it out immediately and saw that the screen says, “I will give Nick $100.” Hopefully I will figure out how to remove that message before the repeated viewing of it brainwashes me into following those instructions!

Tomorrow is the last day of school!!!!!! We are all SO excited!!!!!

1 comment:

paula54 said...

My son Troy put a message on my screen that says "Hi Dweeb". Still haven't figured out how to change it!