Thursday, June 05, 2008

Work Work Work

It's that time of year. Only one week left of school. I have put in more 8 hours of extra time this week, working 6 am to 6:15 pm today. I wasn't done but left because people started coming to school for a play and I didn't want anyone coming to the office to bother me.

Normally from 7 am to 8 am we have three people in our office, plus one next door in the health room to give meds, first aid, etc. Today from 7 to 9, the three of them were gone and I got to run the show. I felt like Super Woman, checking in substitutes, taking money for lunch, yearbooks and lost PE locks, giving meds, fixing copy machines, writing tardy slips, taking constant phone calls on my headset, and finding time for a few sips of coffee from my handy large travel mug, all with a smile of course. As the day went on, I dealt with a boy who got a bad bump on the head. His eyes were dilated so mom took him to be checked out for a concussion. Several students had finger injuries and a diabetic had extremely high blood sugar. A girl was sent to the office for wearing a cloth book cover on her head and continued to argue loudly with both the principal and assistant principal that it was not a hat and only hats were against the rules, this is so stupid, I'm not taking it off, etc., until her parent was called and she was suspended for the rest of the day. Which I suspect is what she was hoping for.

But some good things happened. A teacher brought us some chocolate dipped strawberries. My principal sat down at the end of the day and told me how much she appreciated me. There were a couple of times this past week where she asked me to do something and I had anticipated the need and already had it in hand, including something today. That's always fun.

I also had a little fun yesterday at work. Some students brought in a Visa check card they found in the parking lot, which belonged to a young staff member who tends to lose keys a lot. He came through just before I went to lunch so I was deriving some entertainment from the situation for awhile before admitting that I had the card. He asked to have it and I said I left it right on the counter so I could give it to him. Oh no. It's not here. It was right here on the counter a few minutes ago. Oh, I hope nobody took it. Suddenly the sweet person who works in the office (no, not the office manager) said, "LeAnn, don't you remember that you put it in the safe?" She had no clue that I was kidding around. Just could not understand how I could appear so serious about it.

On my way home tonight I stopped by the Shell station so I could see Eric and fill up the car before gas goes any higher. I wanted to see what he looked out without all the hair that I found in the downstairs bathroom sink a few days ago. I called Eric immediately when I saw the disgusting sink and I told him, "Eric, for some reason I thought of you when I saw the bathroom sink covered in hair. What have you done?" He was so sorry, he thought he had cleaned it up. He shaved off the big bushy beard a few weeks ago and hadn't shaved since. Today I got to see the new look. He shaved about an inch between sideburns and goatee. He looks real cool. At least that's what his guy friends are telling him. For some reason the girls don't like it so much. Including me. But it's a million percent better than the enormous bushy beard. I decided to be a nice mom and took his order for a Subway sandwich, since Subway is just across the street.

Will is gone to Idaho with our new RV, parking it at his cousin's place and visiting his father in the hospital. He's also going to do a little camping with his sister.

I am so sick of this cold gray wet weather! It's June and I need some sun!

No comments: