Monday, June 09, 2008

Softball!

Much to my surprise, Craig volunteered to coach one of the church softball teams here awhile back. He needed more female players so I said I would help out if needed. Last Monday was pretty rainy and I wisely chose to stay indoors with my book. I've put in many years of sitting out in the rain watching those boys play baseball, and I have decided that I have earned the right to be a fair-weather-only ballgame person. That game got called off because of the rain, so tonight was the first game. I was planning to just watch so I could leave if the wind got to blowing any harder than it already was or if the threatening dark clouds decided to dump some rain. However, I got an urgent call from Craig as I was finishing a little shopping at Freddies saying no women had showed up and they could only field 8 players without a female.. "Please get here as fast as you can Mom!" That's a very dangerous thing to tell me!

So with no opportunity to practice, there I was, out in left field. Only one ball even came close to me all night, and I successfully fielded it and threw it in. I was a little nervous about getting up to bat, because as I recall at Dad's 80th birthday party, a few people laughed and made fun of my batting style. (My sister Hope got the female athletic talent in the family.) But fortunately, church people are much nicer than my family. I didn't notice anyone laughing or pointing. I hit the ball (poorly) every time I was up, but got thrown out at first every time except once when they overthrew! I got a double out of that one! The sun came out for awhile and there was even a rainbow!

I took my camera but didn't get any great pictures. Although Nick looks pretty pleased with his hit! Nick played first base, Craig played second, and they worked very well together. Even had a double play. They are both awesome hitters. Craig thoroughly split the crotch of his sweatpants at his first at bat. Oh well. You had to look real hard to notice.

We really needed Will, the great scorekeeper. No one officially kept score. The other team said the score was tied 7-7 when our time was up, but we secretly believe we had more than they did.

1 comment:

paula54 said...

You have to admit it was funny!. I was just jealous that I couldn't be out there playing too. I love softball. What a great mom you are!