Sunday, June 15, 2008

Weekend on the Metolius

The Metolius River. What a balm for a weary stressed out soul! I drove there Friday after work and joined Will who had been there a couple of days. When we walked Saturday morning, a little boy at a campsite eagerly informed us that there was a bird on the log. Sure enough, an osprey was having a little snack!The wildflowers did not match the prolific show they put on in July, but I got to see iris blooming. They will be long gone by July. And of course there's lots of yellow flowers and lupine.
This was the view out our back window. We swiveled the chairs around and drank our morning coffee there. Mornings were a little chilly before 9:00.
The desk is a perfect setup for Will's ham radio gear. No more cluttering up the table with it.
Will cooked the meals in his Dutch ovens. He treated me like a queen.
After dinner I was just thinking I would ask if he wanted to go on an after dinner stroll, but before I could speak, guess what he said? Yes, the exact question I had been about to ask!!
One hike I took without him involved taking a trail up above the road then freestyling it to get some good views of some mountains. Here's Mount Jefferson, carrying a lot of snow.
And here's Mt. Washington. It was worth getting my legs a little scratched up to see these gorgeous views.
There is one place along the river just down from our campground where there is a view of Mt. Jefferson also.
We came home this afternoon and Will enjoyed sitting in his Father's Day gift, a rocker for the front porch. Unfortunately, Eric had to work. He'll come home at 9:00. This is the picture I like. (I said, "Everyone smile phony like your dad!")
This is the picture they like.
Craig barbecued some steaks and we had dinner on the deck. Then they played some catch in the park and are now watching the NBA game while they have dessert, a cake that Nick baked. Craig does more shouting than anyone else! It's an exciting game.
I love the Metolius! I put my pedometer on and I think I walked about 10 miles from Friday evening through today. But after my last walk today it reset itself and is now on kilometers instead of miles! So I have to find the instruction book and set it right again.

No comments: