Sunday, February 15, 2009

I want a longer weekend...

I love weekends. This one contained a mix of many good things. Friday night we went out to dinner at a new restaurant with the brothers and their wives. Half our friends and acquaintances in Albany were also there. Saturday morning we watched Nick play a basketball playoff game,sadly they lost. Then I had time to exercise my housecleaning skills, which I don't enjoy but it's always a good feeling when it's done. Saturday night I went to the movies with my sweetheart,and what a cheap date he was! Senior citizens get in for only $5 at the lovely old Pix theater downtown!

A great Sunday today. All the boys were home for a wonderful Sunday dinner. After they helped clean up they went out to the park to shoot some hoops in the sunshine with a neighbor. I joined them for a bit and shot (mostly missing) a few hoops too. I had my camera and told them to just act normal. Eric has been looking normal every time a camera shows up since he was about five.

I didn't have much luck with candid shots so I took a posed shot of them. Later I realized I should have had their friend photograph of the four of us for a special scrapbook photo so they could always remember what a great basketball player their mom was. Not. I can't even dribble without looking! Even if I'm standing still, it just gets away from me when I take my eyes off it. Oh well, it' not like I practice or anything.


Then I got to take a walk in the sunshine and wear my sunglasses! I celebrate the small things!

But the weekend draws to a close. Just watched a movie from the new digital Comcast on demand, now a little reading before I face another crazy work week. Last week my boss announced her resignation effective at the end of the school year. On Friday, about 15 people at my school got pink slips notifying them of the possibility of layoffs in the next 30 days. Everyone in the district who has been employed there than two years got pink slips. Of course they are not all going to get laid off, but there will be some layoffs. No one knows yet how many or who. There are many dramas playing out each day. My to-do pile overflows, the phone keeps ringing, money needs to be deposited, copy machines keep jamming, supplies need to be ordered, bills need to be paid, boys can't keep their pants up and get sent down to ask if we have any belts, paperwork needs to be prepared for our spring fundraiser coming up, and staff is anxious about what the future holds. So it is very important to take time to talk to people and do whatever I can to help. Keeping chocolate in the office dog (a candy container) is essential right now!

But never mind all that. I need to enjoy the rest of the weekend. Each day has enough trouble of its own!

No comments: