Wednesday, February 18, 2009

This and That

A few challenges this week. Monday was originally a day off, President's Day, but the school board decided awhile back it would be a snow make up day. Of course many students were absent because in spite of announcements, readerboard, newsletters sent home, updated website calendar, and newspaper articles, no one in their family was aware that it was changed. One parent asked me why we didn't let them know. I listed a few of the aforementioned, and asked if she had received a newsletter from us a few weeks ago. She said, "Oh I don't know, I'm too busy to read all the mail!" I feel so bad that I didn't offer to call her once a week from now on to update her on school news.

Today was exclusion day for those whose immunizations weren't up to date. Each of those students had at least two letters mailed to their homes,and still there were shocked and outraged parents today, wondering why no one had informed them. One disgusted parent even asked why she had to do our work for us by providing documentation. We should just call her child's doctor and find out if his immunizations had been updated. Oh yes.

Then a male and female student were in the office at different times throughout the day complaining about the other one annoying them. At the end of lunch, the boy showed up again and said, "I need to know what to do about this person who is harassing me and ruining my life." My efficient office mate Cindy said quite seriously, "Here is what we do for students whose lives are being ruined. We send you to the Counseling Office to fill out a Harassment Report." I tried to wait til the kid was out of earshot before I laughed out loud.

Here's my latest text message goof up, yesterday at 5:50 pm. Nick: "When you coming home?" Me: "Just blaming off my desk." (Quite a typo for "clearing" to become "blaming"!) Nick: "What, is your appendix hurting?" He and Will have adopted a new habit that I find quite annoying. When they get a text from me that doesn't make sense to them, they respond with a message about my appendix. I don't get it.

1 comment:

paula54 said...

Once again you have provided my chuckles for the day! Thanks!