Saturday, May 13, 2006

Thank you Doug

Today was one of those normal Saturdays, lots of housework and yard work to be done. I felt I had a little extra hook to get the boys to do a few extra chores. "Tomorrow is Mother's Day and the thing I want most is some cheerful willing (also known around here as "chilling" from my mis-speak a few years ago) help in the house and the yard." I got my chilling help all right. Will was gone helping somewhere else, and I realized today was the Tangent household disposal day where you could get rid of your junk. For a brief moment I was very annoyed that Will was not there to take care of it for me. I called my brother Doug to see if I could borrow his pickup. Not only could I borrow it, Anisa offered to deliver it to me. Wow. The boys loaded up junk I am ashamed to admit we have stored for years between our shed and the fence (trashed bikes, broken basketball hoop, a barbecue grill), plus junk that we actually use, such as ancient gross looking plastic lawn chairs. And at last the old couch is out of the garage! They loaded this mess all by themselves. Eric really wanted to drive the pickup the half mile to the dumping spot, so I let him, uttering words of caution about every five seconds. (He and Nick both believe that he is a better driver than I am. Ah, silly youth.) They insisted I stay home and let them do the second load alone for some reason.

(A fun little break just occured. Teri called wanting to borrow some tinfoil. I went downstairs and got it. I opened the door to wait outside for Brittany. She had her hand raised to knock on the door and we nearly collided. She almost had a heart attack and we had a good laugh.)

I got myself a little riled up about all the junk we had collected. I am sick of having old plastic chairs and tables on my deck and patio. I remembered that last year I requested a patio set for Mother's Day. We shopped for one but I kept waiting for a great deal or a yard sale find and never got one. I determined that I would have a patio set in time for Mother's Day this year. When we got done with our required work, I sent Eric grocery shopping and I made the rounds of all the stores that sell yard furniture. It was a tough decision. Three hours and eight stores later, I made my choice. (It was even on sale.) I returned to Sears, where I had the delightful experience of running into a former Memorial student (who came to the office frequently), all grown up and working. This charming scamp gave me a hug and was very happy to see Mrs. McAnulty. He pointed out that he even has whiskers now. I noticed the other male employee there also had several days worth of growth, much like my own Eric, whom I had just spoken to on the phone and reminded that he must shave before he went to work. Apparently he's not alone in failing to shave daily. This young man recalled Eric and said the Cheese Song (Eric's first original number, performed in 8th grade at the school talent show) was the greatest song he'd ever heard. He began to sing it. But once again I digress.

I called my faithful brother Doug (what would I do without him!) He brought the pickup over and loaded it up. I was a bit concerned briefly because the young male employee with the lovely waist-length pony tail (black except for the red bottom 3 inches) helping load said, "This doesn't make sense to me, but the box with the table top says "Do not lay flat." So I guess you'll have to eat with the table sideways. It just doesn't make sense." Okay then.

Doug and Duane put the side table together and Nick assembled the big table. It looks lovely, but we will probably have to build a bigger deck and patio now! Nick and Jeremy had a blast playing hide and seek with the big box it came in, rolling each other around in it. It's good to have a little kid to play with when you have a great big box.
Will was very happy when he came home and sat in his new reclining chair outside gazing at the stars. I think he's getting inspired to get that unsightly drift boat out of the back yard. I may not even have to give that ultimatum I was about to deliver!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It seems after I provided this area for my loving wife to express herself, I must review every so often to see just why people look at me so strangely. It would appear I am never around and do very little to kept the place up but as in most marriages there must be the one that the other compensates for. Now that she is so well off with all that furniture I must again slink off to a place where there are fewer people and less responsibility. Why do I leave comment? Just to let others know I am aware of my weakness but far from able to change. It is a good thing LeAnn has the ability to carry on no matter what, she is a fine woman and great mother. I will have to take solace in those simple truths and carry on in the best way I am able. For the most part I carry on best when I am on one of those ventures alone. Fine furniture and mowed lawns are great things to have. Thank you, LeAnn for keeping such a nice home. A lawn chair and a meadow to look at call me to places away but I will return to clean the garage, and tend to the boat, in time. Will

Anonymous said...

..LeAnn, maybe by next year on Mothers Day you will have a nice screened in porch, or better yet a nice sun room, with a hot tub, where you can enjoy your patio furniture..--just giving you some options on how best to enjoy your furniture!!! (Will, hint, hint)
Mark