Wednesday, February 06, 2008

A Dull Week

A whole week since I have posted anything and nothing comes to mind that I must share. The highlight of the past week was going to see Santiam Christian's middle school drama in which my charming nephew Duane starred quite convincingly as "King Dum". Will, Nick and I, as well as the rest of the audience had some good laughs. I believe dramatic talent is a strong Troyer trait. As well as good looks and charm. And brains and beauty. But one of our greatest gifts, a deeply ingrained humility, precludes me from sharing any more of our outstanding family attributes.

There are several reasons for the lack of activity in this household. One is that Will is missing. He was gone for a whole week, returning home last Thursday. He left again Saturday morning, battling blowing snow and icy roads en route for Idaho to be with his Dad, who had surgery yesterday. His dad was released from the hospital today, and hopefully Will will be home soon. Without him the sun doesn't shine, food tastes bland, and there is less to laugh at.

Another problem is that I'm still recovering from "the bug". I went to the doctor yesterday and he broke the bad news to me. "Your lungs are full of junk." Hopefully the antibiotics he prescribed will help.

Tonight I hit a new low. I worked three hours late, arriving home around 7:30. Exhausted, I heated up some soup and read the paper. Eagerly looking forward to relaxing on the couch with the newest Robin Cook medical thriller ("a ripped-from-the-headlines tale of an innovative doctor's dangerous downward spiral"!), I entered my living room. To my horror, there was a pile of cat poop in the middle of the floor. I speed dialed Eric, who was hanging out at a friend's, to request that he immediately dispose of this problem his cat had left for me. He said he would call Nick (who was at church) and offer him $5 to clean it up because he didn't want to make a special trip home to do it. Nick returned home a short time later with a big smile on his face. He went right to the drawer and put a plastic baggie over his hand, saying he was getting $10 from Eric to clean up the cat poop!

In the meantime, I was forced to read in the family room, where it was difficult to feel relaxed and happy because Nick had left a plate with dried ketchup, a plate with remnants of a melted ice cream bar, and two wrappers lying about. I was not happy with him. He had to clean that mess up for free. And it took quite a little scrubbing for him to remove the dried ketchup. Where have I gone wrong? Why is he such a slob?

It's time for me to take my exciting book upstairs and read in bed for a bit. One must get one's beauty rest.

No comments: