Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Good Grief!

The snow is gone and I am glad. Sure, it's exciting and beautiful when it's coming down, but it brings out the stupidity of people in many ways. I really like to think I am one of the smart ones. We received a fair amount of snow on Sunday, and Nick was eagerly anticipating that schools would be closed the next day. So Sunday evening I was looking at the school district's webpage "Delays/Closures" segment. It had a link to sign up for "Flash Alert" which would email and/or text message you any time there were delays or closures. What was a great idea! Nick and I both signed up. The next morning my alarm went off at 5:15 as usual, and about a minute later as I was still lying abed, I received a text message from Flash Alert saying "Greater Albany Closed". I did not even have to rise out of my bed or turn on the TV. I was able to just roll over and go peacfully back to sleep.

I slept in, still in need of a little medicinal sleep, and later in the day I enjoyed scrapbooking Nick's birth and early infanthood. In fact, I discovered that the newspaper birth announcement, listed under his was the granddaughter of my fellow secretary Helen! I smiled as I looked at a picture of cute little Eric and Craig with their mouths stuffed with M&Ms that someone had brought when they visited the hospital, and recalled that when Eric's preschool class went on a field trip to the hospital a year or so later, he inquired where they kept the M&Ms, because he believed that hospitals kept a supply of them to give to people!

Tuesday morning school started on time in spite of a bit of snow still on the ground. Sadly, the rest of the world doesn't seem to be acquainted with Flash Alert. The phone was ringing off the hook in the hour before school started with people calling to ask if there was really school. Today we had a two hour delay, which I also conveniently learned when my friend, Flash Alert, texted me. But the phone calls after I arrived at school were unbelievable. "Is it true there's a two hour delay?" I wanted to say, "Yes, that's why all the TV stations and radio stations have been reporting it for the last three hours. It really is true." But I just politely say, "Yes, it's true." And then they ask, "SO WHAT TIME DOES SCHOOL START?" I ask you, how hard is it to figure this out? After I was asked this many times, politely replying, "9:50" , I just snapped. I enunciated very slowly to the caller, "Well, since school normally start at 7:50, if you add two hours to that, what time would you think school would start? Yes, 9:50, very good." But I was pretty proud of my self control. I was rude to only that one person. I guess it's not their fault if they are unable to add 7 plus 2 equals 9. I need to feel compassion for them.

On another note, I am very worried. When I came home tonight, I found a big pile of hair in the downstairs bathroom garbage can. I fear that Eric shaved his head. It is not my favorite look for Eric. And just how ridiculous does a guy with a huge bushy beard look with a bald head? I will not be likely to post any pictures of such a disaster. I just texted him and he tells me no, he just cut his hair. He cut his own hair? That ought to look really good too. I hope it's not a mullet. One mullet in a month is enough for a family to endure. Craig cut himself a mullet earlier this month and shared ridiculous pictures of it, but fortunately he got rid of it after a few days. I believe he found that people don't take you seriously with such a haircut. I'm going to stop rambling now and get a good night's rest so I can be smarter than all the people I talk to on the phone tomorrow!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I can do long division even. Who said our childrens isn't learning?

Love,
Ex-mulleted currently skulleted-