Sunday, January 18, 2009

More about the Retirement Party

Before it's too late, I wanted to share some more pictures and stories from Will's retirement party.

On the way to my sister Linda's birthday lunch earlier that day, I noticed this sign at Burcham's Metals in Albany. We first met Jay Burcham when he was our across the street neighbor when we were newlyweds.Sadly, I failed to get a picture of our boys in their nice sweaters. Anisa got this one while they were talking to Chaplain Darrel and his wife. (Strangely enough, I found those sweaters on my bed after they did laundry!)
It was fun seeing all the old timers who showed up. I had forgotten the nickname given me back when I worked at the S.O. until this gentleman addressed me as "Lulu". For some reason, the guys called me "Lulubell". I think she was a character on HeeHaw, but since I wasn't really familiar with the show, I never did get why! This guy was somewhat of a lady's man. Judging from my rapt attention, possibly he still is!
But look at the adoring look I bestow upon my esteemed husband!I was proud of my brother Galen, who got up and shared some stories and his appreciation of Will. The Sheriff's Posse presented him with a beautful silver belt buckle and a picture of him riding horse with them. Several others also shared, including a U.S. Marshall who enjoyed working with Will over the years. His stories included one about a planned escape that Will helped to foil, and presented Will with a plaque engraved "Under-Sheriff Will McAnulty" and apologized for the hyphen in "Undersheriff"! This plaque says, "Thank you for your years of support of the U.S. Marshals Service Fugitive Task Force and your coordination of the Marshall Stucky federal escape investigation at the Linn County Jail."

There was also a surprise gift that had been mailed from his step-brother who is an accomplished woodworker. A beautful wooden pen and a finely crafted rubber band gun!

The detective secretary and another long-time fellow deputy presented Will with a very special plaque also. When Will was in the Detectives Division, he remarked several times that when he retired, he looked forward to getting a three-wheel bike which he would ride around and pick up cans all around Tangent. Debbie really wanted to present him with an old three-wheel bike, but since she couldn't find one, she came up with something even better. They presented Will with a framed certificate from The Can Man Enterprises that certifies that Will is "the registered holder of the exclusive franchise rights to all discarded cans and bottles worth redemption on U.S. Highway 99E inside the City limits (including the Urban Growth Boundary) of Tangent, Oregon, U.S.A." How exciting is that! This certificate is signed by "the duly authorized officer of the said Franchisor". I had to study the signature awhile before I recognized that it was signed by Tim Mueller (the Sheriff!).
The Sheriff presented Will with a Sheriff's Award of Merit which states "For your 28 years of outstanding service to the citizens of Linn County and your exemplary dedication to the Linn County Sheriff's Office. Your loyalty to this office, intrepidness in the face of what sometimes seemed to be insurmountable odds, and your tireless pursuit of excellence are all in the finest tradition of law enforcement and the Linn County Sheriff's Office." He also presented him with a nice cash gift collected from his co-workers.
I was speaking to a retired deputy and his wife and she expressed sympathy for my plight of being stuck with a retired husband at home. I felt sorry for her poor husband being made to feel so unwanted! I have heard from several wives of retirees that it is really a pain to have the man around the house all the time. That would never be a problem here. Unthinkable though it be, if I got tired of having Will around, all I'd have to do is say, "Don't you think it's about time for you to go camping?" He would be out of here. But when I came home Friday and he informed me he had cleaned out our closet, I appreciated it but also had an inkling that perhaps this is the type of thing these women are referring to. I'm sure I'll find all my stuff eventually!

No comments: