Tuesday, March 03, 2009

Facility Usage

With great anticipation, I utilized my lunch break today to visit the Albany's new public library which opened yesterday. Spacious, light, new carpet and paint smell, comfy chairs, books everywhere - it is very cool. (As a Fast Reader, I make many visits to the library.) I disregarded the map I was handed when I entered and just walked around checking everything out. Oh how I wish I still had small children to bring to the inviting children's area. No, never mind, I have moved on.

As I was coming back through the upstairs, I noticed the restrooms and a sign outside the door that advised the restroom lights were on motion sensors. It seemed a good idea to check this out, so I stepped inside the door into the darkness, and sure enough, the lights came on. I took a few steps in to check it out and registered URINALS! I whipped around and sped back outside, where a male library employee looked at me suspiciously from a few rows over. I fled into the clearly marked Women's room directly across and was relieved to see normal fixtures for Women.

I got to wondering how many times in my life I have accidentally wandered into the wrong restroom. How do I fail to notice the clearly labeled doors? Some of these occasions have mercifully been blocked out of my mind, but I remember one from our vacation to Colorado in the year 2000. We were leaving a campground one morning, and I deemed it prudent to utilize the facilities before our departure. I was hurrying because my loving husband was ready to hit the road and in my usual meek submissive manner, I did not wish to cause any delay. While using the facility, I noticed the large rugged shoes in the stall next to mine but didn't think too much about it. As I hastily walked toward the sink, I was aghast to see a URINAL! How did I miss it on my way in? I don't know. I abandoned any thought of handwashing, wanting to make my escape before the wearer of the large shoes exited the other stall. I dashed out to our Durango just outside, loaded with my husband and boys watching me exit the men's room. Oh yes, a memory maker!

1 comment:

paula54 said...

Oh my dear! You are TOOOO MUCH!