Monday, March 02, 2009

Serious Phobia

A little sixth grade boy I know has a lot of trouble getting to school on time. He lives within a few blocks of school, but the world conspires against him when it's time to go to school. On Late Start days (2 hour delay), he gets to school early. On days when there's no school, he forgets and comes anyway. We are not surprised to see him at any time or any day. This morning he was about a half hour late and I went up to the counter to write his pass. I asked him how his day was going and he said, "Better now that I made it here." "Well, that's good to hear." I replied. "What's going on?"

"I have a serious phobia," he said soberly, looking up at me with his big brown eyes. "I have a serious phobia about worms. I started to walk to school, and they were everywhere. I had to go back home and wait til my mom could bring me."

Over the past 10 years, I have heard many interesting excuses for being late to school. (One that I chuckled over was a note saying "Talia was engaging in medicinal sleep!) This worm phobia one was completely unique and unexpected. I should give that kid an award for originality.

No comments: