Friday, March 13, 2009

Farewell to a Friend

I said good-bye to the little boy with the worm phobia yesterday. He came in to tell us he is moving to Springfield. He was very pleased at the thought of living there. Grinning, he said, "I'll always be watching to see if I spot Homer and Bart out on the streets." We had a good chuckle, then he had to explain to my unworldly co-worker who has never watched "The Simpsons" that Springfield is their hometown. He named all the states that have a Springfield and knew a good bit of trivia about them.

I gave him a shiny red "Character Counts at Memorial Middle School" pen and let him choose a couple of colorful bookmarks that have our logo and character traits on one side and student drawings on the other. He really liked them,hoping to find a picture of a wolf but settling for a bear.

He used his new pen to write a farewell note to a teacher before he left. I hope people in his new school care about him, and I hope he is so busy looking for Bart and Homer that he forgets to look down at the sidewalk!

No comments: