Thursday, July 08, 2010

Don't Call Me Grandma!

Gotta love summer time. Spent the past two long weekends camping at the Metolius. The first weekend was nice and quiet, just me and Will and Zeek the dog. The second weekend, we shared our campsite with Nick and my brother Doug and his family. In the campsites adjoining and adjacent were many other friends. I believe I heard that there were over 50 people in the group, includiing about 30 children.

Our campground is about a mile from the Camp Sherman store, so we often enjoy a group walk along the river trail to the store. Saturday morning I joined a group of 4 women and 5 children on this trek. I fell back with Tiesha and her little guy Trent, and we soon lagged behind the rest. A walk was not Trent's idea of a good time. He thought staying in one place and throwing sticks in the river was the only fun thing. Totally a blast for a one year old. It soon became apparent that this walk was not meant to be for him, and I eagerly volunteered to be the "mom" to her other two children for the rest of the walk so she could turn back.

I caught up to the rest of the group and told Madi and Lincon that I got to be their "mom" for the rest of the walk. I enjoyed helping them pick out ice cream at the little store...and then Lincon announced that he had to use the bathroom. As we trudged over to the outhouse, I realized he probably wasn't old enough to go in there alone...Man, I hate outhouses. I'm an RV girl these days. Lincon was very particular about making sure I had the toilet seat perfectly lined with toilet paper before he allowed me to seat him upon it.

It has been a very long time since I had to accompany a little boy to the bathroom. I remember thinking thae my little Nick would never learn to take care of business for himself, but eventually he did, and I was ever so glad to be rid of that chore. Anyway, I stood in there patiently waiting, holding Lincon's melting ice cream push up and my melting Snickers ice cream bar (both still in their wrapping thank goodness). Lincon asked why I was looking at the ceiling. I didn't want to tell him it was because it was the least disgusting place to look at in there, so I just said because it's so high. Some old guy opened the door (which I had forgotten to lock) and started to charge in there. He wasn't too pleased to see me in the corner and a little boy on the toilet.

So finally that ordeal was over, and Maggie the dog was having a great time swiping her tongue at all the children's melting ice cream. I sat down with two little girls, Madi and Rae. Madi had a great idea! "How about if we pretend you are our grandma for this weekend!" I about choked on my melting Snickers bar. Now, I am well aware that I am old enough to be her grandma, and what joy when that day comes, some day when I am an old lady. But I am not yet a grandma. I had to tell her I wasn't emotionally prepared to be a grandma, but I would be happy to pretend to be her Aunt LeAnn. She liked that, and I soon had a few more little girls calling me that.

There were lots of wonderful little girls in the camping group. They would actually run up and hug me like they were so glad to see me. I'm sure it wasn't just because of the nectarines I shared with them. Was it?

I like my grown up friends and family, but it was very special to spend a little time with some fun, energetic, interesting and funny little girls! And I loved seeing all the little boys playing in the dirt! You parents are doing an awesome job!

1 comment:

Mark T said...

Little did I ever realize, that I would not be the first one to ever call you Grandma hehe