Friday, September 10, 2010

Another First Week is Over!

What is it they say about the best laid plans? After constantly waking up Monday night and checking the clock, my alarm didn't go off and I overslept! Instead of being nice and early to work, I was five minutes late on the first day of school! Fortunately everything was ready to go and it was probably the least hectic first morning ever.

To my surprise, Justin the phone guy was there first thing to program the bells! He hadn't quit just yet. But the next day,  I didn't hear the bells the first couple of periods, and when I went out to ask a couple of teachers, I was informed they hadn't been ringing. So I reset them and they worked. What is up with that?  No one called the office to mention the lack of bells. Could it be that we have no complainers among our staff this year? Or have they just lowered their expectations?!

The new scheduling program has had more than it's share of glitches, with a few periods or entire schedules disappearing, which makes it difficult to find students. I frequently thank God I don't do attendance any more. But the bugs are getting worked out, and the teachers who haven't had access have been amazingly patient and kind.

We have been without a heating system in our office since January. A new HVAC system is being slowly but surely installed, causing a great deal of dust and dirt everywhere. It was a bit of a shock to see  all the huge exposed shiny metal duct work under our high ceilings. Yesterday one of our special students was in the office and asked about it. After it was explained to him, he said, "Well, it sure looks tacky!" Several people have commented that it's all the rage in the big city clubs and lofts. Those who know say we won't even notice it in a month. We'll see. If we get heat that is not too hot and air conditioning that is not too cold, we shall not complain.

A parent called yesterday to point out that a teacher had sent home a paper that said volunteer hours needed to be completed and turned in by June 7, 2010. He said he didn't think there was any way his child could accomplish that. I asked if he was sure they wouldn't be able to do some time travel to take care of it, but sadly, he said they weren't time travelers. So I promised him I would let the teacher know about the date error!

So it was an interesting, busy week with many hours at the office. Our staff and kids are so much fun. But a nice sunny weekend is a very welcome break.  I just got a text from a friend thanking me for helping her son find his bus yesterday.  A great example of how nice parents are! Many of them have thanked me for doing simple little things. Although at the end of the day today, a parent with four kids at our school called with a message for them. Four messages to write, four schedules to look up. Good grief! I hope she doesn't get in the habit of that!!  It was a bit of a test of being cheerfully helpful, and I may not have gotten an A+ on that one!

No comments: