Wednesday, September 01, 2010

The Truth about Costco

Today as I was checking out a cartload at Costco, the young man assisting there asked if I would like a box. (They always sound like it would be somewhat of an imposition to supply a box, though they are piled everywhere under the checkstands.) I replied as usual, "Yes, please, as long as it is small enough that I can get it out of the cart without a struggle." "How about this medium sized one with handles," he said. I was shocked at his helpfulness.

I expressed my gratitude for his thoughtfulness and said, "I thought you  all specialized in getting the biggest box you could find and making it as heavy as you could so that I would end up in a big fight to get it out of the cart once I get to my car. I can't tell you how many times I've been out there muttering very bad things about you guys as I try to remove a big hundred pound box that's stuck in my cart."

This young man and the cashier at the checkstand both admitted they did enjoy causing this problem! I asked if they take turns hanging out in the parking lot to watch chubby middle aged women struggling with heavy boxes, using bad language that they save for the most frustrating occasions. (In my case it would be "poopy, poopy, poopy," but I didn't tell them that.)

That's when I learned the truth! They admitted to me that they actually have hidden video cameras around the parking lot, and they save the best videos to use for entertainment at their company Christmas party!!

Consider yourself warned. Look for the hidden cameras - I was unable to find them but I didn't take too much time searching the parking lot. I believe they are there, so watch your language when you get to your car and realize that once again, they have wedged a huge box full of all heavy items into your cart.

No comments: