Thursday, September 23, 2010

Who is this Etta Powell?

About 15 years ago, I was asked to be on the ballot for secretary of Women's Ministries at church.  I was mostly working with kids ministry activities at the time, so the prospect of getting involved with Women's Ministries seemed very attractive! Since the only other person on the ballot was Etta Powell, and I had never heard of her,  I figured I was a shoe-in for the position.  I didn't go to the event where the voting took place and was shocked to learn that Etta (who did attend) was elected secretary!  How had this newcomer defeated me?!


Someone pointed her out to me a few weeks later as she walked into church, and I was still puzzled. She looked very ordinary and nice, so I didn't feel too upset about it!  History again reveals that God certainly had a plan there! Etta went on to be an outstanding Women's Ministries Director and eventually Women's Retreat Chairman as well. She was extremely gifted in organization and in recognizing other peoples gifts. Her love and acceptance inspired confidence in women to use their gifts to serve God.

I got involved in the Women's Retreat Committee around 1997 when Etta was the director.  When she ran a meeting, it was fun but focused!  I was asked to do a workshop on journalling at one of those early retreats, and later on there was a delay in the programming. For some reason I ended up with a mike in my hand telling a funny story or two to bridge a gap. Soon after that, Etta decided that as Director, she did not want to emcee the retreat, but I would be good at it.  I wasn't so sure. Giving boring announcements really isn't my thing, and I was pretty nervous about being in front of people on a mike.  But in her own sweet gentle way, Etta prevailed, and the next year I was the emcee. 

I have held this position ever since, though I volunteer every year to step down if they want to give the position to someone else. There are just enough people out there who like to laugh at my imperfections that they can't get rid of me! I have learned to enjoy it as well. I used to think you had to look really good as well as have your act together before people would listen to you. Obviously not! I still don't like the announcement part, but God has give me so many  opportunities to share his faithfulness while enjoying a lot of fun and laughter and meeting many wonderful women.

Along with many others in our women's group, I often remarked that  wanted to be just like Etta when I grew up. She was  the epitome of a fun godly woman! We all loved to be around her, always receiving encouragement and feeling like a better person just from spending time with her.

During those early retreats as I stood in front of those women, I really wanted to have an image as a strong, godly woman like Etta. But as God worked in my heart at the 2006 retreat, He impressed upon me to share my burden for my wayward oldest son, and the sense of failure that was weighing me down even as  I desperately sought after God to intervene. I couldn't believe all the women who shared their stories with me afterward who had wayward sons and daughters….including Etta. I was so surprised that an amazing woman of God like Etta could have a prodigal son! Etta and I shared each other's burden, praying for each other's son after that. God miraculously intervened in my son's life and brought him back to the fold, and I was so blessed to share that at retreat the next year.  I still pray for Etta's son and will continue to do so.

When Etta retired and moved to Prineville with her husband, it left a huge hole in our women's group and our church. Etta came back for retreats whenever she could and occasionally visited at church when in town. On February 9, 2008, Etta sent an email to me and a long list of her friends, breaking the news that she had been diagnosed with lung cancer. I saved this email, and I wish I would have saved the updates that she continued to send during the past couple of years, because even though at times she shared bad news about her health, she always included words of hope and faith. Here is how she ended that first email:

"I want to share a quote with you that has been tucked into my Bible for several years.  I think it is fitting for what I am going through at this time. 

"First, He brought me here;  it is by His will that I am in this difficult place;  ........... in that I rest.

Second, He will Keep me here in His love, and give me grace in this trial to behave as His child.

Third, He will make the trial a blessing, teaching me the lessons He intends me to learn and working in me the grace He means to bestow.

Fourth, in His good time, He can bring me out again.......... how and when, He knows.

So, I am here by His appointment, in His keeping, under His training, for His time."    By Andrew Murray.

I believe in the power of a mighty God who loves me.  He is the one who gives me the hope, strength and courage to take this battle on."

I am so thankful for the time that God gave Etta on this earth and enjoyed visiting with her at her two-year survival party earlier this year. Even when bald from her chemo, she was beautiful both inside and out. She exemplified "the joy of the Lord is my strength."

God brought her home to her eternal reward yesterday evening. Just imagine His great delight in saying, "Well done, thou good and faithful servant."

So who is this Etta Powell? An amazing woman of God who encouraged and inspired me more than my feeble words could ever describe, and I still want to be just like her when I grow up. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So good to hear more about Etta's God-filled life. Learned a little about her over the last 2 years from her sister-in-law Judy (who works at Liberty). Marlene McClain