Tuesday, September 21, 2010

First Fire Drill

How lucky we were today, to have our first fire drill of the year scheduled for 9:45 am on a dry sunny day. At 9:30 I called the alarm company to put us in test mode for 45 minutes, as is my duty in this situation. Just before the custodian pulled the alarm, she asked if I had called the alarm company. Yes, ma'am. The principal had asked just a few minutes before.

So we're standing outside a few minutes later and we hear sirens approaching. The people around me ask if I called the alarm company. Once agan, I assure them yes I did. The sirens cease, and the assistant principal calls me on the radio and asks if  I called the alarm company. Yes I did! Well, the fire department called our  physical plant, who then called my principal and chewed him out for not calling the alarm company before we did our drill!

I made a bee line for the phone when I got back inside and called the alarm company to pleasantly inquire what happened. Turns out they put us in test mode for 5 minutes instead of 45 minutes!

Can you believe, there were some female employees who had the nerve to express disappointment that the fire trucks were called off before they got to our school, because a couple of tall, dark and handsome paramedics came out last week when we had to call an ambulance for a sick student whose parent was unreachable.  The nerve!!!

No comments: