Tuesday, March 15, 2011

The Best Vest

Don’t you just love it when you’re browsing the clearance racks and you come across an unbelievable deal? Recently I found the most beautiful fur vest at Kohls, marked down from $72 to $14.40. Incredible! And it was even my size! All I had to do was touch its luxurious softness to know it was worth every dollar at that price.

A few minutes after my purchase, I was wearing the vest over to my Uncle Cloy’s house to see my cousin Cyndi who was visiting from Arizona. Naturally, Cyndi adored it and when I shared the amazing deal, she said, “Mother, we should run out to Kohls and see if we can get one too!” Aunt Norma Jean wasn’t too sure. “It’s not really my style,” she demurred as Cyndi made her try it on. “Hey,” said I. “It’s not really my style either, but it’s only $14!” (But I’m pretty sure they didn’t go to Kohls that night!)

From there, I went to the home of a new friend who was hosting practice for our upcoming retreat skits. All the girls were very complimentary of how terrific I looked in this amazing vest, especially in combination with the stunning new color my hair had magically become earlier that day. I just love girlfriends!

When I got home, the reaction from my husband was not nearly as enthusiastic, but then again, I would never expect him to be quite as effusive as my girlfriends are. I kind of wanted to keep the tag on to show off the amazing price reduction, but he said that would be tacky. So I reluctantly cut it off.

I wore it to work the next day and I have never had so many comments on any piece of apparel in my life! My two office co-workers greeted me with compliments and I shared what a great bargain it was. I also told them that my husband pays a lot of attention to his dog and I thought if I wore fur, maybe I’d get more attention from him. That struck them as very funny. When the next person came through the office and complimented my fabulous vest, I shared the great price. My co-worker Cindy told me I needed to tell the real reason I got it, so I repeated the part about my husband. Everyone laughed again. I had the most fun that day, getting a laugh out of everyone who complimented my vest when I shared the “real reason”, and I believe Cindy laughed every time too! I just love working with her!

The next Sunday when the boys were home for dinner, I had to show them this amazing find. Will told them he was a little taken aback when I came home looking like a floozy with this fur vest. What? He tells them his thoughts but he doesn’t tell me?!

Of course I had to take the vest to retreat with me, feeling the risk of being judged a "floozy" there was pretty slim. I saved it for the last evening session and again got to share some laughs about my “real reason” for buying it again with all the women there. A vest that can make people laugh that much is indeed a very special vest, and I had an inspiration about a fitting way to honor it.

I was playing the role of “Dr Phillis” in our skits during the weekend. We had come up with a giveaway to the audience during the first two “Dr. Phillis Shows”, and what better thing to give away during the final skit? One of our talented team members wrapped it beautifully for me.

Sunday morning, Dr. Phillis (pictured here) carried the package into the show and announced that one lucky audience member would be the recipient of a fabulous gift. Dr. Phillis believes that every woman should have at least one outfit or article of clothing that makes her feel very special, to wear on those occasional days when you really need a lift. This gift s one of those items of clothing. But we also need to think of others, so after you have worn this item a few times, you want to share the blessing with someone else to brighten their days. The recipient will know when the right time has come to pass it on. The person with the closest birthday would be the lucky recipient. The fortunate woman who ended up with this prize graciously modeled it for us, and it looked absolutely beautiful on her as well.

I wonder how many women it will bless? Will I ever see it again? On whom, I wonder?

I wish I had a picture of this wonderful vest, and if one shows up, I will post it here. Until then, it shall live on in my memories and in its new life with the lucky current owner!

3 comments:

Dani Chance said...

I will be sure to get a picture for you soon with the "lucky recipient" wearing it! I'm sure she won't mind :)

Anonymous said...

I would be more than happy to model my lovely new vest:)

MacNana said...

Thank you, girls! I eagerly await receipt of the lovely picture!!