Sunday, March 13, 2011

SACC Retreat 2011: The Blessings

As the MC, I got to close out the retreat with a time to for people to share the blessings they received this weekend. Since I was leading it, of course I gave myself permission to go first.

How do you decide which blessing to share when you have been bombarded with them the entire weekend? My advice is, go with the one first pops into your mind. And how strange is it that my first thought was: my roommates!

Yes, very strange. Especially when one roommate has been your friend for 25+ years and you have just come to realize this weekend that you are frighteningly alike in some ways (the ditzy ones). (But at least I have never walked into a waiting room and said hello to my reflection in a mirror!)

Friday night I was gathering my things together for the next morning, courteously planning ahead so that I wouldn’t awaken my roommates by rustling around too much in the morning. Strangely, I could not find any underwear. I remembered opening the drawer at home, but had I become sidetracked and closed it before completing my task? I frantically searched all the pockets of my garment bag and other bag, exclaiming I couldn’t believe I forgot them. Finally, my thoughtful thieving roommate got down on her knees and kindly started pulling my underwear out from under the bed where she had stashed it.

Can you believe that?!

Saturday after lunch I followed the example of my other roommate (the nice one) and brushed my teeth. When I started to put my toothbrush back into its container….uh-oh. My toothbrush was still in there! I had just brushed my teeth with my thieving roommate’s toothbrush!!!! GROSS! And I couldn’t hide it because she was standing right there to witness my freak-out at this appalling discovery!

Can you believe that?! Fortunately, the thieving roommate (though rather unhappy about this turn of events), could understand perfectly how one could make a mistake like that. Just like she could understand how someone could open her glasses case and exclaim, “Oh, no, I forgot my glasses!” and then notice that the glasses are already on the counter waiting to be donned. Just like she could understand the multitude of mysteries that fill my days. Because her days are also filled with little things that make one wonder, “How did that happen?”

In spite of her kleptomania, she is a very loving and kind friend and there is never a dull moment when hanging out with her!

Last year at retreat, I was very fortunate to be assigned to room with my other roommate (the nice one). She is calm and laid back, friendly, kind and interesting, blessed with a quick wit that will make you laugh when you least expect it. She was gracious enough to accept my request to be roommates again this year. I hope she will forgive me for not warning her that we would be joined by the thieving roommate. I owe her a debt of gratitude because she had an extra brand new toothbrush and she saved the day by graciously giving it to that undeserving roommate. Just another example of grace. I think she was a very good influence on that roommate. (On me too, for that matter!)

Both of these women care and pray, and I am honored to call them friends!!

A few of the other blessings:
• An entire weekend spent with 40+ women who are filled with the love of God (and cute and fun-to-be with besides)!
• The worship team, whose voices blended in beautiful harmony with the keyboard, piano and flute in songs of worship and praise.
• The speaker who came and shared challenging and inspiring words from God from her very humble heart (and I used to babysit her!)
• The privilege of working for months in advance with a group of very talented, organized and creative group of friends to make the weekend happen.
• All the fun we had working together as a retreat committee and drama team.
• The time to get acquainted with new friends and re-connect with old ones.
• Hearing women share amazing stories of how the healing grace of God transformed their lives.
• The opportunity to watch a presentation on “Gifts from the Heart” from Judith, who doesn’t get older, she just gets better and funnier!
• Being the recipient of a “gift from the heart”. (But some things that happen at retreat, stay at retreat!)
• All the laughs we got to share!
• That once again, at the end of the retreat, I could declare, “This was the best one ever!”

I know I haven’t listed nearly all of them. Tell me what I missed!

(Note to self for next year:
1. Buy locking suitcase
2. Buy new underwear.)

2 comments:

Ann's Closet said...

Oh I LOVE IT! Maybe save your $$ and instead of buying new luggage, just wear all the underwear at once that you'll need for the weekend. Just sayin'. ;)

TSHAA said...

Hmm I've been trying to figure out just who it is that would do such things to you?? So glad you had a good time! We missed you all! Thanks for the goodies and the sweet sweet card! :)