Sunday, March 20, 2011

Lovable Lucy

Sometimes I am a little jealous of Will. Why do my little great-nieces (and little nieces) always like him so much better than they like me?

My niece Dawn and her family are visiting from Hermiston this weekend, and we got to spend the afternoon with them at my brother's house today. After lunch I was thinking I wanted to find her five-year-old daughter Lucy and visit with her. Lucy had greeted us wearing a Little House on the Prairie dress and kept showing up in different outfits. Just then I realized that Lucy was up close and personal with Uncle Will, giving him a hug. I nudged Eric, who was sitting next to me. He told me I had just missed her telling him, "Uncle Will, I love you. Are you really my uncle?" (She never once told me she loved me:( I wish I knew how to insert a real sad face symbol there.)

I observed with interest as she chattered away to him. Before long she had told him his breath smelled like her friend's dog's breath. Then she was looking closely at his face, from the front, side and slightly behind, and I was hoping she wasn't going to insult him too badly with another observation. But her next question was, "Why do you have a line in your glasses?" So Will got to explain bifocals. Of course she had to try them on, and wondered why they were so big.

Lucy is extra-special because she was born on my son Eric's 17th birthday (August 8, aka 8/8). She is a wonderful reminder to me that every child is an incredible blessing and gift from God. I am looking forward to another reminder next Saturday when I get to keep my sister's three for an evening!

No comments: