Monday, April 25, 2011

I FOUND IT!

Have you ever put something in a safe place and then forgot where it was? All of us have done that at one time or another, right? It's just the human condition. Perhaps some of us do it more than our fair share, but the rest of you will get middle aged and forgetful some day too.At least I like to think so.

It's embarrassing, but sometimes it takes me a long time to get around to doing things. Especially if it involves home decor and sewing. Just not my gifts. My parents made me a beautiful quilt top many years ago. It rested safely folded in a bag untl November 2005, when mom offered to quilt it for me. I published a blog about it on 11/13/05. They also gave me some green fabric from the quilt that I was going to use for a bedroom window valance and pillows.

Well, the bag containing that fabric languished safely on a shelf in my closet for many years. While cleaning out my closet one day awhile back, I was tired of feeling guilty every time I saw it. I tucked it safely out of sight somewhere. Recently Will built me a window seat in the dormer area of the bedroom. The fabric would be perfect for a cushion all along the seat, as well as some pillows. I decided to use it for that instead of curtains.

I prepared to do this project one weekend...but could I find that fabric? No, indeed. I searched every drawer and high closet space. I searched through boxes stored in the eaves of my bedroom, rummaging through quaint size 10 clothing that I would never wear even when I reach that size again. I searched through the closet in Naked Room 1 (aka NR1), where Will has efficiently stored things in the closet. I looked through the shelves in the closet of the computer room. I looked under my bed, where there are some boxes of important necessities that I never need. Where in the world could it have gone? I worried that I had accidentally put it in a bag of discards and sent it to Goodwill.

Well, yesterday when I tried to open the blinds in the bedroom, (which must be done gently because it's been very delicate for awhile), I just plain broke it. Now it is stuck halfway open, which is not a good thing in a large bedroom window. So I must have that fabric to match to some curtains. I came home today determined to find it.

I examined the closet in NR1 and the computer room again. No luck. Suddenly a thought struck me. What if I possibly had folded it over a hanger and hung it in the back of the closet? I rifled through my rack of clothing. No luck. Then I hunted through Will's rack, and sure enough, way in the back corner, completely hidden behind the suits he never wears any more, was a hanger with the fabric folded over it!
So now I shall take it with me to shop for curtains. (If I'm smart, I'll call my decorating consultant/niece Jody first), then see how badly I can mess up a simple sewing project like covering a big thick piece of foam with fabric. And pillows, how can you mess them up? Unless you want to make them fancier than just two squares of the same fabric. Hmmm. How long will it take me, and how frustrated will I get? It's already been 5 1/2 years, so I guess there's really no big rush!

The really exciting part is that I found the missing fabric! I haven't lost my mind after all!

No comments: