Friday, April 01, 2011

Lunch Breaks

I am on the patio in the sun with Zeek, being a good wife who comes home on her lunch break to let the dog out while the master is fishing in someone else’s boat. Not that he needs to be let out. He's been inside since about 4:00 am but he has yet to take advantage of his outdoor restroom. Oh well, it’s a better lunch break than the one on Wednesday when I lost something.

I was driving down 9th Street at about noon with thousands of other people when I heard a rattling noise. My rearview mirror showed something bouncing over to the side of the road, so I thought whatever it was must have hit my tire. Then I noticed the crazy woman behind me, talking on her cell phone, blinking her lights, and waving her arms. She pulled up beside me at the next stoplight. I cautiously lowered my window a bit an she yelled that my hubcap fell off but fortunately she avoided it.

So I went back and took a stroll in the gray drizzle to search for it. The good news is, I found it. The bad news is, I almost didn’t recognize it. I had no idea my hubcaps were made from cheap plastic! Look at this!
I continued on to my previous destination, Kohls. The hubcap was missing from the front right tire. Looks pretty tacky. As I was about to get in my car to leave, a guy got out of his car directly across from me and said, “Nice car.” It appeared to me that he was looking at my ugly hubcapless tire. I stared at him in open mouthed disbelief. How incomprehensible that someone would already be dissing me for driving a heap of junk! He gestured toward his car and I realized that our cars were exactly alike, except that he had four hubcaps. So I tried to remove the stupid look from my face and mentioned that I had just lost a hubcap which got destroyed. He did not take the hint and offer me one of his.

I was shocked at Will's response when I told him. “You have to stop driving so fast!” was his edict. How judgmental!

I was shocked again to learn that a new hubcap costs $88!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh Dear Le Ann, I feel so sorry for you. Men just don't understand us women and how easy our feelings get hurt. Someday they will learn, maybe.