Saturday, October 29, 2005

The Prodigal Visits


The eldest son stopped by yesterday. If he was hoping for shocked outrage when his parents got their first look at the ring on his lip, too bad. Both parents reacted with mild revulsion and curious questions. Nick wanted to know if he would be able to "gleek" out the hole if he took it out. It could be much worse. A few years back, Craig announced his plan to grow his hair into long dreadlocks as soon as he moved out. Back then his mother still reacted in disgusted horror and proclaimed, "God never intended for hair to look like that." His quick reply was, "And God never intended for your hair to be that color!"

Craig was so happy to see the new Reader's Digest with the cover story about the Beatles. He remarked that he had noticed it in the store and was looking forward to coming home and reading it in the bathroom!

A friend shared this verse with me this week, from Hosea 14:4, "I will heal their waywardness and love them freely..." I hadn't read Hosea for a long time, so I read it the next day and will be re-reading it. Wow. Chapter 11 - "When Israel was a child, I loved him....It was I who taught Ephraim to walk...I lifted the yoke from their neck..." Such a beautiful description of God's love for his children and then the call for repentance. My prayer for Craig is that he will realize the greatness of God's love and find the joy that true repentance will bring.

1 comment:

SAHM said...

Wow...I thought at first Craig just had a toothpick in his mouth. (The position of his hand makes it appear like he's holding it.) I guess I shouldn't get a little diamond stud in my nose now? :) Kevin sorta ixnayed that already. I can't get a tattoo either. :) I'll have to settle with un-natural hair color as well. :)I don't think I've ever seen one positioned on the side that far. Usually in the middle...he probably has preserved his "whistle" this way. :) I'm surprised he didn't go eyebrow. :)