Thursday, March 15, 2007

Happy Birthday, Big Brother

Our family was privileged to share my oldest brother Galen's birthday celebration with his children and grandchildren last Sunday, a March day so balmy the children ate outside. These cute cousins were determined to eat their dinner while protecting themselves from each other's hitting arm. It's a difficult skill, but they seem to have mastered it. It got easier when Eric switched places with one of them.

After dinner, we saw the children playing in the back of Will's pickup and sent Eric out to supervise. The children got out and he returned to the house, saying he told them to be careful not to get caught in there by the owner of the pickup, Will, the child-eating man. They got to enjoy it later under the adult's watchful eyes. Will says pickup beds were designed for standing around and visiting. The birthday man was too busy pushing a grandchild on the swings to loiter around with the guys.
With great delight, Brendan observed the gift opening. "Open this one Grandpa, it might be a car!" No such luck - for some strange reason, no one bought this fifty-something man any new cars to play with!
In addition to being a loving, wonderful brother, father, grandfather, etc., Galen is a godly man of great integrity and kindness. I have the utmost love and respect for him. I am so fortunate to be blessed with six incredible brothers, and Galen has been an inspiring example to all of us.
"I always thank my God as I remember you in my prayers, because I hear about your faith in the Lord Jesus and your love for all the saints.... Your love has given me great joy and encouragement, because you, brother, have refreshed the hearts of the saints." (Philemon 1:4, 7)

1 comment:

SAHM said...

What a great posting! I can't believe that any young boys from that particular family line would do anything besides compliment and play perfectly harmoniously together!! :)