Monday, June 26, 2006

Reunion Trip Day 1

We left this morning a bit later than planned. I don't want to admit what time. What a surprise. When a compulsive scrapbooker stays up til 3:30 am because she's so close to finishing a scrapbook, maximum efficiency is not achieved the next morning. But my Tyler scrapbook is reasonably finished, enough to bring along to share. We were in Hermiston for lunch with neice Dawn and family by 1:00 I think. She sent Simon outside so we'd know which house. It is delightful to have someone jumping for joy when you drive up! He was excited to see us even though he didn't remember everyone's name (He called Eric "the one with too much hair.") Baby Lucy can' t possibly remember me but she smiled and reached for me as if I was her best friend. Lovely welcome. We had a good lunch there and had to be on our way all too soon.
Will informed Eric it was his turn to drive when we left. After the interesting conversation died down, (Will "Cows are eating machines. You never see them play.") we were all napping. Eric was surprised when Will suddenly said "Road hazard" regarding tire pieces on the road, then closed his eyes again. The man has incredible instincts.

We made it all the way to Baker City before we needed gas and more refreshment. Will instructed Eric to drive into Albertsons for snacks. Eric said he should maybe get some Beano and I said absolutely, and we also need an air freshener for the car. Eric said, "Have you been smelling it?" All the way from Hermiston. Nick said "Me too." Eric said, "This is the nicest family! I thought nobody was noticing!"

Will got back in the driver's seat, and I so wished I had my camera in the front because the boys looked like they were snuggling up to watch a movie on the laptop. (It was just a screen glare issue.) It would have been a priceless picture. They have gotten along so well today, it's almost like they are friends instead of brothers. But it's only Day 1.

We checked into a motel in Meridian, Idaho. Eric and Nick informed us they will not share a bed. They will take turns from night to night between the bed and the floor. Oh brother.

Will's sister Susie came and took us to dinner at the Texas Roadhouse. She was surprised that Nick is now taller than she. He's grown a few inches since November when she was here. Then we got some refreshing drinks at Starbucks. Not a glamorous picture Nick took of me, but boy do I like my caramel Frappucino.

The highlight of the day for the boys - as we were leaving Aunt Susie turned over her old laptop to them. Nick is checking it all out now. (It has a car charger! Look at all this ram!)

Time to get to bed. There's not as much time to nap on the road tomorrow.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just for the life of me can't begin to imagine what it must be like in that car. "Will on the road" ought to be the name of a t.v. show. I laughed @ the fact that cows don't play! Maybe its more the fact that @4a.m. And i can not sleep because of a travel day ahead of me. O brother where art thou. See you later.Douglas

Anonymous said...

It is so good to know that it is not just the "little" Troyer children that have problems fumagating the van when traveling. Eh? Remember 21 years ago!